Received email this morning: GX8 $782.99

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by oldracer, Feb 7, 2016.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    This morning I got an email letting me know that a "used" GX8 was available on for $782.99.

It occurred to me that some people may not know of a couple of tricks that we cheapskates like to use:

1) will give you price history on anything sold on Amazon, both new and used. Example: Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GX8KBODY DSLM Mirrorless 4K Camera Body Only, Dual Image Stabilization (Black) (B011B8QW38) And, as you can see, they jack around with prices quite a bit.

The reason I got the email was that I had set a trigger for $800 and the trigger price was hit.

2) I have found that "Amazon Warehouse Deals" are a good way to save money. On a product page there is often a link to "used" copies of the product. In many cases, though, what Amazon Warehouse Deals is offering as "used" are really brand new products returned by customers for some reason or simply brand new products with damaged packaging. I regularly check for these when I'm buying something and always buy when they are available. I have never been disappointed.

There are also third parties offering used items on Amazon. I have never tried anything but the warehouse deals though. Caveat emptor.

So there 'ya go. A couple of tools for the patient cheapskate. Hopefully this post will help someone save a few bucks.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Makes my cheap heart sing.
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The warehouse deals are especially sweeter if you live in a state where Amazon doesn't tax!
  4. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    wow my local shop sells a new GX8 for $1599 cdn !!! even the new body in the US is a cheap 999 bucks USD LOL!!! Wow what a difference in price in CDN!
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Interesting you should mention this. I didn't buy the Amazon warehouse GX8 because a couple of days earlier B&H cut their used GX8 price to my $800 trigger and I bought that one. But Amazon does charge sales tax in my state, so the B&H camera was actually cheaper.

In general for larger purchases I try to buy from "Fulfilled by Amazon" vendors/no sales tax instead of buying from Amazon directly.
    • Agree Agree x 1