1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rec Preview (after taking shot) slow/strange behavior....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cybertron, Dec 6, 2013.

1. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Hello everyone
    just wanted to ask a question, just got me teh E-PL5 and extremely happy with it so far. But it has a little nagging fault or behavioring issue I would like to get rid of (if possible)

When I take my photo, the the image I have just taken shows on the monitor, however, my complaint is that sometimes (or almost always) the picture i took is frozen and then i see my live picture and then i see the picture I just took

you see my problem ? could it be that my card is to slow ? i am using the toshiba flashair card that came with the camera.

another thing, is it possible to see the effects of the image the camera is going to take? for example,

in a darker room, the image in live-view is shown like it should, but the picture it takes (when for example i P mode) is brighter than it really was when shooting. This would be fine, unless when I actually wan't to capture the real mood in the room. (for examples candles), normally I just get into manual mode and adjust the shutter / iso / aperture so that the image in liveview matches what I need/want, however on this cam it only changes the look up to +/- 3ev the rest is ignored as far as I understand.
    i would like the camera to be black if i turn the shutterspeed to much, and "white" when having too much light and so on...is this wrong ? i there a setting I am missing ?

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    1) Check your REC view setting. It's under the Wrench icon in the menu and can be set between 0 and 20 seconds.

2) Check your Live View Boost setting. It's under the Gear D menu. It's probably turned on. Turn it off if you want the screen in manual mode to show what the exposure settings are seeing. Can't do this in other modes if the camera has found a working exposure combo.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    1. it set to 0.5 seconds, and it is only sometimes that this happens, first the screen go black, then "live" and then showing the picture...ah heck, I can live with it it is only ..... strange :D

2. thanks! In manual mode it does work, guess I am using that one :D

4. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    well, solved the problem :D

it was the card, the card (rated 30 MB/s) was probably to slow, got another card (sandisk rated 95 MB/s) and the strange behavior is gone.

5. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Hi everyone,

my problem is back, so it isn't the card. I have tried making a video of the behavior, (posted below) i just want to know if anyone with a E-PL5 can confirm if it is normal behavior. the thing to notice is that after I've taken the pic, the still freezes (as it should) then it moves and freezes again (shoudl not ?). It is quite anoying when trying to capture birds or any other moving thing

[video]http://www.flickr.com/photos/92252496@N04/12505652863/in/set-72157640935682173[/video]

thanks

6. n3eg

n3eg Mu-43 Regular

I have this too, and I've been told it's normal. You take the shot and see it, then see a blip of unstabilized blur, and then your actual shot. It seems to give you a little bit of unstabilized live view between capture and display. This is usually worse when using a long lens.

I have my image review set for 2 seconds.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Hey all. This is an olympus quirk I noticed quite some time ago. Whats happening is that It shows you a short burst of live view before it shows you the preview for as long as you keep the shutter pressed. Olympus cameras dont show you a preview until you have released the shutter entirely, if you keep it pressed the preview never pops up. And some of us keep the shutter pressed a bit after the photo has already been taken. Try this: Push the shutter button and take the finger off it as fast as you can or take a longish exposure...see? no more problem.

Personally I hate it to death.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Ah, ok, then it is "normal" although annoying!
    Thanks for confirming.

I will try your tips, thanks for confirming this. I also finds it annoying.