1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rebates!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gardengirl13, Aug 9, 2012.

1. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Just saw on adorama that the OMD has rebates (visa gift card) if you buy the camera you can get $150 for the 17, 9-18, 75-300, 14-150, 12, 45 and the 12-50, plus some 4/3s lenses. You can get it for up to three lenses too!

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Looks like it's $150 per lens, up to 3 lenses. So, $450 total possible? Get the 45/1.8 for only $250 with an OMD?

3. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Yeah anyone looking for a few lenses with an OMD can get them for quite a deal! Buy three lenses and get one basically for free depending on what you want!

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Why couldn't they do that BEFORE? Us early adopters get shafted again; all we had was a choice of the FourThirds or OM adapters, or the bottom-end flash. The lenses I did buy I had to pay full price for!

• Like Like x 1
  5. a_foolishman

a_foolishman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Kelly Graham
    Early adopters always get shafted. That's just what happens. In 8-12 months you'll be able to pick up an OMD used for 30-40% off.

Basically early adopters are people willing to pay almost anything to get something. Then as sales slow manufactures provide more and more incentives.

Works this way with cars, phones, cameras, software....

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Alas, the early adopters always pay the penalty for enthusiasm of ownership and that is what the manufacturers want as they make most of their money from them.

Currently, with the global economy getting worse not better and certainly in the UK it has resulted in a slowing down of sales which also means a ready supply of cameras/lenses, I know in UK it has just been announced that camera prices have gone up 10% in the past 12 months so people do not have the spare cash.

Offers like this frequently encourage those who are on the fence/ cannot quite afford it / undecided to jump and bite the bullet and it also allows manufacturers to move more stock = more profit to recoup R&D costs.

7. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Not sure about the OMD here though. They're out of stock more often then not. Either they're selling VERY well even with the prices, or olympus can't keep up with the demand.

Yeah I'm upset about missing the rebates, but the main lens I wanted (and have) is panasonic and not part of the rebate. I'd rather pay $100 more a month ago and have a camera I love and can shoot with (well once I get one back!) then wait a year to save that $100-200 and miss out on all that shooting.

used prices are crazy though! I tried to sell my old canon stuff when I switched and the expensive stuff flew out like mad, but the cheaper lenses took forever to sell, even at REAL low prices! Not sure if it's the economy or what. But you'd think people wanting the cheaper lenses would want to save even more and buy used. Guess not. They all want L glass even if they can't afford it.

8. travinh

travinh Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2012
    I am new to m43 and this thread just save me $150 bucks.
    I just ordered 1 e-m5 silver body and 1 45mm f1.8 from Adorama.

Yesterday, I ordered a Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 for $1099 on Amazon.
    I am in process to sell all my Canon L lenses and 7D to move to m43 system to save some big bucks.

Thanks,
    Cal

9. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I know...but it still feels good to rant about it! :dash2: :sad010:

10. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    These rebates are great for those that plan on jumping in without an established footing in the system. I was seriously thinking about falling through on the deal this morning when I first read about it. This rebate gets a whole lot juicier if you have a Chase card and purchase from JR. The total is $1206 for an OMD/45 kit after rebates. Pretty sweet.

That red ring has to be one of the best photo marketing ploys of the last decade. (Which I'm sadly a victim of. :redface:) I've had similar experiences selling my Canon kit a few years ago. My 24-70 and 50/1.2 flew out the door in a matter of hours while it took me nearly a month to get rid of the 85/1.8. (The latter which is a splendid lens to boot!) Although people in general are in tougher financial situations than before, it seems as if the mentality of having the best is still there even if the money isn't.

11. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    yeah yeah stop whining! what about people that dont leave in the states? we dont get discounts, offers, or rebates whatsoever, not in chile (were im originally from) and not in new zealand (were im living now), i got my omd here and the only thing i got from the store was "thank you!" and then doin my math i figure it out i got it at regular bh list price and saved on shipping and custom taxes!

i would love to ge those rebates especially to get that 9-18 but in the fine print its only for people living in the states!

12. travinh

travinh Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2012
    $1206 is exactly the cost for my new E-M5 & 45mm F1.8 lens.
    (999+400)-30(Mr. rebate)-150(Oly rebate)-14(1% cash back from Citicard). :bravo-009:

13. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    I don't understand how the rebate works. They say something about a gift card. Does that mean you pay full price and then they give you a gift card good for 150 per lens? Or do they reduce the price of the camera + lens by 150 when you buy it?

14. travinh

travinh Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2012
    I believe Olympus will send you a credit card that value of $150. You can use this CC to pay for anything you want.

15. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Ah - OK, thanks.

16. tanMu4358

tanMu4358 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Instead of selling the L lenses you can buy an EOS to m43 adapter with or withour electronic connection to use with your EM5. :2thumbs:

Selling L lenses nowadays is a hassle because of the economic hardship and people bargain you most of the time.:mad:

I already in the process of switching to m43 and bought some M43 lenses which are very cheap compared to Canon EF and EF-S lenses. However, I still keep my 5D3 and a couple L lenses that I still use them. :2thumbs:

Good luck,

17. dbrantley13

dbrantley13 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2012
    Figured I'd mention that the rebates aren't exclusive to Adorama or any other retailer in particular. Amazon is advertising it on each applicable lenses page. A little upset as I just bought my OM-D about 3 days ago...bad luck, would've loved to get a $250 45mm.

18. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If it was at the cashier, they'd use the words, "Instant Rebate".

I actually dislike the rebate gift cards, much prefer a check I can put into the bank. With gift cards there's a fee for initializing it, there's a fee per month for each month you don't use it, and you can't get every penny out of the card; most stores don't like mixing credit and cash, and online most stores only allow one payment method (you can't pay part of it with one card, and part with another).

19. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I find it a little odd that the rebate is offered on the 12-50 lens. The rebate brings the price of that lens down to $349 ($499-150), but the lens can be purchased in a kit with the camera for a $300 ($1299 - 999).

20. dbrantley13

dbrantley13 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2012
    Maybe for those interested in the silver version of the lens? I might have considered paying the extra $50 for the lens to match the color of my OM-D body (then again, I don't think it would take better pictures this way)