1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Reasonable price to sell my E-P5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by m43man, Aug 13, 2013.

1. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Hi all, I'm having a challenge getting enough interests in my local market via Craigslist for my E-P5 that I bought two weeks ago as part of a kit with VF4 and 17mm/1.8, so I'm hoping to get some feedback here.

I've since then sold the VF4 and decided to keep the kit lens, but I've tried lowering the E-P5 price from $999 to $899 and now to $799, there have been only a few inquiries who are not that serious :frown:

Should I lower it further? Or is it just a matter of time? I've thought about listing on eBay to expand the potential buyers list but I have no experience in selling on eBay so I could be easily scammed :dash2:

Any feedback? :confused:

2. jpark1982

jpark1982 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    Have you tried outside of CL? Like the Buy and Sell forums here and on other forums? In my experience CL is not known for serious photographers, they're more interested in cheap DSLRS or P&S.

3. cueball

cueball Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Oklahoma
    At that price I'm really surprised you're struggling. Hell, mine's en route from Japan and that's roughly what I paid. I think listing it here and Fred Miranda would probably attract a buyer. FM has a fee associated with it though.

4. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I think you guys are right, craigslist buyers are more interested in consumer-level products. I thought even at $849 is a good deal. A potential local buyer is concerned that the warranty is not transferable, but since Olympus has International Warranty, and I have a receipt to back it up, it shouldn't be a problem right?

5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I don't know the Olympus America policy but Olympus UK honour a transferred warranty so long as the original purchase receipt can be produced. :smile:

6. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd hold your ground and NOT lower the price -- yet. The E-P5 is a brand new camera that is still somewhat unknown to the general "public". The right person will come along and realize that your asking price is fair...

Good luck!

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Good price. I'm surprised on one here has PM'd you. :smile:

8. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Actually when I sold mine to Brian, it was a bit lower than this including shipping. Even then there was not a lot of people that inquired about it.

I am guessing everybody is waiting for the GX7. After the GX7 comes out that's the time we will see whether people will buy the E-P5 or not for that price.

9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Since your in Canada, I'd use kijiji as it seems to be more popular than Craig's list. I've sold many micro 4/3 products there, and I'm only one province east of you. You could also list it here, as people will have a rating/review for previous trades/purchases. Just be a little sceptical if they have no feedback, or can't provide any references. I think the other issue you may be having is that the upcoming GX7 is making a lot of people hold off on the E-P5. I had it on order until I held and used one and opted to cancel as it really didn't impress me when compared to rumours of the GX7. I now know for sure that even if I don't like the GX7 ,I won't touch the E-P5 as it seems really over priced in comparison to the OMD.

Good luck with your sale, someone will appreciate the price.

10. cueball

cueball Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I was on the fence prior to contacting you for that same reason. Holding an E-M5 and NEX6/7 with the built in view finders is what pushed me towards the E-P5. I just didn't like how small the built-in units were for my glasses/contacts. I really think my wife is going to like the E-P5 also after she has a chance to play with it.

11. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I actually miss that little bugger :eek::tongue: I bet you'll love it!!

12. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    So you agree that $799 is fair? Or do you think it's worth a bit higher?

My reasoning for $849 is that GX7 in Canada will cost $1099, which means at $849, EP5 with the VF4 will only total to $1128, which is still a better buy because of the large magnification and superior Epson tech. (I wonder how many people have actually seen through this thing because its view is amazing, IMO even better than high-end DSLRs, if that's even possible).

Besides, if $849 includes shipping, insurance, and the 3% paypal fees, I will only get ~$790 after everything.

13. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I haven't actually posted here yet, just thought I get some advice on what a fair price is, before I post :)

The camera was purchased less than two weeks ago, used only a couple of times with screen protector on from Day 1. I wonder if the 80% rule under the Buy & Sell FAQ applies because it's so new.

14. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    That's what I am worried about too, that GX7 will compete too much with EP5 when it comes out. But EP5 in many ways is better than GX7 though, aside from IQ, which is unknown right now.

15. tckraus

tckraus New to Mu-43

Aug 13, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Christina
    EP-5

Hi,

I think I saw one sell on fredmiranda for $895 just recently. Try there, or why not sell it on this site?

Christina

16. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    $895 seems a bit high to me, especially since they have discounted $50 in US. I will definitely post soon on this site once I get an idea what a fair market value is for a unit so new.

17. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Agree, the VF-4 is definitely something.

18. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    There's only two ways the price can go after the GX7 release, up or down!! Hopefully it's gonna be up :biggrin:

Yes it is a bit high, I sold an EP-5 + VF-4 for $1,000 free shipping and the other one was Body only $795 free shipping too.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    An indicator of just how much of the MFT market desired an integrated EVF that some are willing to "sacrifice" in other areas for that integrated EVF.

More to follow when the GX7 gets out in "the wild"...

20. harryz

harryz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Igor
    Probably you are selling on Vancouver's Craigslist and I saw your ad there.
    That's true, selling there it is a real challenge. I tried to sell some stuff there. All the time I waited 2-3 monthes. Had lots of scummers, viewers, lowbollers and finally the right guy came a took my camera for the right price. Ones I gave up. I didn't want selling lower then eBay prices. I am shooting with that camera now. And I'm very glad I didn't part with that.
    It looks like Craigslist is the only place where you can (?) sell something online in Vancouver. Kijiji is not popular at all.

Sent from my Desire HD using Mu-43 mobile app