Reason to buy GX1 now?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Braza, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Need cheaper second body for backup. Is the Lumix GX1 good camera for now, or it is outdated?

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I still have mine and it's perfectly fine. Image quality is generally in line with the G3, G5 and G6. Just make sure you don't overpay. Whenever a camera is about to be replaced or is actually replaced, the price goes down. But then it begins to climb again as that camera (or at least new examples of it) becomes more rare.

3. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    There honestly isn't THAT much of a difference between the older 16MP cameras (G3, G5, C6, GX1) and the supposed top-of-the-line EM-5, EM-1, GX7 and GH3. ISO1600/3200 (latter is still borderline acceptable) is cleaner, sure, but I would recommend against buying a thousand dollar camera over a $300 GX1 or G5 based solely on that criteria.

I bought a GH3, sure, but I did it for many reasons (DAT GRIP!) aside from the slight bump in noise and DR.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Nothing wrong with my GX1, it is my primary camera and will be for some time yet, I have no desire to own a GH3 or Em5

I am in the process of selling my G3 and getting another GX1

• Like Like x 1
  5. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    And how about noise in shadows in all ISO? Or it is not true?

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If you like the Panasonic colours, or have a use for bounce-flash and like an oblong without viewfinder : there really is no competition until the GM1 is really out ...

Great prices, good controls, looks nice. (I have an e-pL2 instead for this role though)

Noise in shadows? I haven't a clue!

7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think you will find noise in any digital image if you're stuck on finding it, but I don't find the GX1 to be noisy. Mind you, I dial noise reduction down to a minimum, and the result on this particular camera is a beautiful grain that I'm quite fond of.

8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I am not sure how much latest sensor Olympus like Epm are now. They will offer better image quality if you want to spend a little more. Gx1 has better build though IMHO .

9. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    It's overhyped. It's better, but not $700 better.

10. Simone

Simone Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    Yes, There is a very noticeable blue noise and strong quantization in dark areas, also at 160 Asa. For static scrnes and using a tripod I suggest you to use image stacking doftware to average 10 or more pictures. Apart this, I strongly suggest you to buy a Gx1 body but for less than 300us$. Otherwise try Sigma Merrill cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

11. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Whaa?

12. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    The GX1 is a dynamite little body, and wears its age well. The only thing newer cameras have that I really feel the GX1 *really* lacked is focus peaking--I use a bunch of older lenses, and I have to admit that peaking was a nice addition. I wish I'd had it on my GX1 :) That said? I'd probably still be using my GX1 much of the time, and would always have it in my bag as a backup, if it hadn't met a sorry end on the NH pavement back in June.

At $200-300 the price is right, and the camera "feels" really good to use, at least for me... If you get one, good luck and enjoy!

13. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Forgot to address the noise in shadows bit: I did not notice this in particular. I shot exclusively JPEG/available light, frequently in dark areas or in the evening, and I wasn't bothered by the noise in any part of the image unless I cranked the ISO. My only complaint about the camera's image quality would be slightly less contrast and dynamic range than comparable Olys; definitely not the noise!

14. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Thank you all for your answers.

Going to shoot in jpeg. How it does in GX1?

15. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The GX1 handles jpg files better than my GF3 did by a long shot. Some find Olympus colors to be more to their liking, but I'm not sure what the fuss is about. I might not be noticing the same things that they are. I've gotten great jpg results, particularly with lenses that produce good colors, such as my adapted Konica Hexanon 28mm f3.5

16. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I have a GX1 I bought on closeout last spring for about $250. I agree with the earlier poster, the newer 16MP cameras have a little better IQ, mainly at high ISO, but nothing to get too excited about, especially for an extra $800. What you do get for that extra $800 is a much better LCD, EVF and the latest gismo trends like WiFi and GPS. Of course I'd love a GX7 and the IBIS would be great for using fast primes in low light, but I can wait until it's on closeout for $300 in a year or two.

17. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    You pays your money and takes your choise.. I shoot jpegs all the time , check out my gallery. If you set the white balance up in camera, slightly away from blue, colours are fine. I Have no problem with colours seems to be over hyped,.... what do I know about colour? I have been a decorator for 50 years working withand mixing colours all the time and spent 5 years working for a paint manufacturer as a colour matcher

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    My GX1 is my "runaround" camera. Got the body as an "open box" special from an amazon vendor for $229.95, added the LVF2 for $160. Right now it's got a Lumix 14-45 "kit" lens (the one originally sold with GH1's) mounted on it and it and the Lumix 20mm f1.7 fit in a small Case Logic bag that I can hide in the center console of my Honda CRV. So it's usually with me but out of sight in the vehicle.

For serious and semi serious work I have a pair of GH3's (my primary focus is motion picture) but the GX1 is just plain handy and delivers the results I like. The only shortcoming is there is no provision for manual settings in video mode so if the GX1 is all I have with me when a video "target of opportunity" happens I'll just have to punch the button and roll with it. It does do very good looking motion picture.

The real beauty of something like the GX1 is that most folks don't take you seriously when they see you with it (especially when fitted with one of the "pancakes"). The guy with the big camera and a ton of lenses gets noticed but I can get away with a lot without calling attention to myself. I like it that way, I'm a retired pro and have had my day with conspicuous gear.

19. krixoff

krixoff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    There are some reasons to buy an GX1 as i did fews weeks ago:

-If you upgrade from GF1, GF2, G1 G2, etc... olds sensors.
    -ISO are nice from 160 to 1600 (To compare to GF1 ISO, ISO 640 is same as ISO 1600 on GX1).
    -LVF2 is very good.

But:

-GX1 Battery life is very bad.
    -Not possible to view and zoom pictures to check focus in LVF2 after shot without LCD. You have to press LVF2 button each time to take a picture.
    -Really miss the GF1 quick menu, very simple and intuitive.
    -JPEG GF1 are crispy.
    -B&w Dynamic missed in GX1

I have 2 GF1 and 1 GX1.

I use GX1 only for low light. But GF1 is still my favorites.

20. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

Regarding high ISO noise in GX1

Yes, by all means buy a GX1. I had one, sold it and now have asked for it back.

I had my GX-1 equipped with the stellar 14-45mm (sharp lens) and was always pleased with results.
    Though not as "quiet" as say, an E-PL5 at higher ISO settings, still much, much better than any compact camera out there including the RX100.
    Noise at 1600 ISO is quite acceptable and at anything less than a 1:1 crop, almost unnoticeable.

An example low light shot in RAW with very mild post processing:

[​IMG]

Here's one at ISO160 in ideal lighting conditions to give you a hint of what the GX-1 is capable of in detail:

[​IMG]

Please keep this in mind. The newer sensors may be less noisy at higher ISO setting but that comes at the cost of sharpness. BSI CMOS output is softer than CMOS (like CMOS was softer than CCD). This is why the XZ-1 can still beat the pants off newer cameras, it has the CCD chip which although a bit noisier, much sharper. The lens also has a lot to do with it. The faster the lens of course, the lower the ISO. A GX-1 with a fast lens should be more than excellent.

For the money (I have to stress - for the money), there may be no better M43 camera on the market, new or used. In addition to excellent IQ, the build quality is exceptional. You will not be disappointed with the GX-1 output if that type of camera suits your needs.

Jim
    :thumbup: