Reason for fixed grip on e-p5 ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Robstar1963, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    From watching the youtube video from Digital Rev on their test of the E-P5 it would seem that the 'antenna' for the inbuilt Wifi is fitted inside the grip of the E-P5 as Wifi signals apparently do not transmit well through metal casings - hence the fixed grip and no option for accessory grips !
    Is anyone in a position to confirm whether this is in fact the case ?
    PS I was watching in the early hours so my interpretation could have been wrong and this may have been one of their typical sarcastic remarks !
    Will watch again when I have time
    Regards Rob

2. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    That's the excuse, but the large grip for the ep3 is rubber, so offering the option wouldn't have interfered with wifi. It's a shame, because other than the grip, the ep5 + vf4 combo is amazing.

3. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    I'm thinking of getting the E-PL5 instead, on account of the exchangable grip. That body feels worse overall though...
    *waiting for the E-M1 to drop*

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Why would you bother to integrate the wifi into an external, interchangeable part that attaches with a single screw? The way you're saying it, they would have to make the new grips with some sort of plug-in connection to communicate electronically with the body. I'm sure it could be done, but doesn't that seem a bit excessive? It's not like the interchangeable grips were all that popular. Seems much simpler to keep it in one piece, to me.

5. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    You know they could just put the wireless antenna in a housing then have the grip go over the housing without having to need to integrate the grip and antenna into a single piece unit with an electrical connector.

Of course Olympus could also choose to not give you a grip that lets you change it. This is all part of what their design team decides on. I mean this is also a really good reason too: "They just didn't."

6. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I wish it weren't true but I'm afraid you nailed it.

7. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Such a shame - such an easy feature to have designed differently -and such a difference it would have made to have had interchangeable grips !
    Rob

8. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    The wifi stuff isn't inside the ep5's grip, Ned, it's under it. That's why they were able to introduce the "premium wood" grip.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I would have gotten an ep5 already if it wasn't for the grip.

10. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    I've had mine for a few weeks now, and while the grip is far from ideal, I've gotten used to it. Don't let the grip hold you back from owning an incredible camera. The features and image quality have helped me create some very nice compositions. And I'm sure some 3rd party will come out with an add on grip sooner or later.

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    When I first purchased the E-P1 4 years ago, I enjoyed it the first 6 months. But I would get cramps in my right hand after a day of use because the grip doesn't fill my hand. I got a steal on an E-PL2, which is lighter and has a larger grip, and I've had no issues. While I like the controls the E-PX line has, the camera is too heavy for such a small grip. They remedied this with the E-P3 with the large grip, but I never upgraded because there was no sensor advantage. I've been holding out for the E-P5 for some time, and then I was dissapointed with the lack of an interchangable grip. If a 3rd party grip becomes available, then I might.

I've thought about the GX7, but I don't want the built in EVF. Needless to say, I've been in limbo for a while. The E-PL5 is about the only choice, I just wish it had an extra dial. I'm still waiting...