Rear LCD keeps turning off (E1Mkii)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bpjod, Sep 12, 2017.

1. bpjod

bpjod New to Mu-43

Sep 9, 2017
    I just got into m43 with Olympus' latest Trade In offer. Picked up a E1Mkii and 12-100/4 kit last Friday. I've been spending a fair amount of time learning about all its features and menu settings since then.

Today I ventured out with it for the first time to take some test shots in comparison to my other ILC cameras. It's an overcast day and a problem arose that I haven't encountered before. I'm hoping someone here can help me out with it.

When I hold the camera up to my eye, it switches to the EVF and everything is just fine. When I take the camera away from my eye to change settings while viewing the rear screen or to chimp the images I've just taken, the rear LCD keeps turning off. Further investigation reveals that it is switching to EVF. If I move the camera about at a comfortable distance to view the screen (i.e. tilt it, lift it higher or lower as one might do to minimize glare) it keeps alternating between EVF and rear screen. The rear screen stays on if I pull out the rear screen and use it in articulated style, but when up against the back, the rear screen won't stay on. Everything works fine when I'm indoors, it was just today when I took it outside that I've had this problem.

By comparison, one of the cameras I was testing it against is my Samsung NX1. It also has an EVF and it worked perfectly fine today in the same conditions. I also have a Sony RX10 - it was my first camera with an EVF and I've never had this problem with it. I could see the proximity sensors on the E1Mkii and they were free of dust and smudges. I tried cleaning them anyway but that didn't change a thing.

So, do I have a setting somewhere that's messed things up? If so, which one? Do your E1Mkii's perform the same? If I have to manually switch between EVF and rear screen whenever I'm outdoors, the camera is going back - that would be completely unacceptable to me!

2. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Gear Icon -> J2 -> Quick Sleep Mode

What is that set to for you right now, just out of curiosity?

Also how far do you hold your E-M1II from your body when you chimp? Anything within proximity of the sensor of the EVF?

Mind you I am using a magnifier to make my EVF 0.90x, which is huger than my FM2n's viewfinder. I don't have an auto switching EVF any more but is more than acceptable for me.

3. bpjod

bpjod New to Mu-43

Sep 9, 2017
    Pertinent settings on J:
    Backlit LCD: 30sec
    Sleep: 3min
    Auto Power Off: 30 min
    Quick Sleep Mode: Off

I hold the camera roughly 16"/40cm from my body when chimping.

4. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    No camera straps/unconscious placement of a body part near the EVF sensor? Trigger distance on mine seems to be around 3-5" head on and fairly sensitive to stuff on the right side. Seems to be fairly consistent on mine when I used it before I put my magnifier on it. You probably want to check with Olympus because this doesn't sound like proper behavior for the eye sensor.

The screen staying on when flipped out on the left appears to be normal behavior.

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Somewhere there should be a setting for the eye-sensor sensitivity. Perhaps the sensor is being too sensitive and switching back to the EVF.

An easy way to test this is to place the camera face-down on a table/countertop (the front element is recessed so it won't touch the table), and enter the playback mode. Then step away from the camera, and watch what the screen does. If it continues the behavior you mention, then there's definitely something wrong with your camera. However, if it behaves fine in that scenario, it's likely an issue with the sensitivity setting for the eye-sensor.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. bpjod

bpjod New to Mu-43

Sep 9, 2017
    Reflector: There were no straps to be the source of the problem, but good thinking. I cannot reproduce this behaviour indoors at all. Indoors the switching works exactly as I would expect - anything approaches 3-5" from the EVF sensor, it switches to OVF. Why it did it outdoors today with the overcast sky is a mystery to me. I've been at work so haven't had the opportunity to test it again outdoors. I'm trying to reproduce the issue now, but the sun has set and it's not happening indoors at all. Maybe on Thursday or Friday I'll be able to head outside with the camera again.

ijm5012: I do believe that it has *something* to do with the eye-sensor sensitivity. Unfortunately, looking through all the menus and reading through the user manual has not revealed to me where a user could adjust that sensitivity. I'm doubtful that it is user adjustable, but if someone knows how, please enlighten me. I've tried the table experiment, but unfortunately under indoors lighting where everything works fine and as one would predict, if something is within 3-5" of the eye-sensor, the rear screen turns off and the EVF turns on. Maybe it will be different outdoors when I get the opportunity to try it there, but alas, the sun has set here.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You could just disable auto switching and do it manually. I personally prefer it that way anyhow.

8. bpjod

bpjod New to Mu-43

Sep 9, 2017
    I'm pretty used to the automatic switching on my other cameras. It's possible that it may come to manually switching, and I've been experimenting with that earlier this evening, but it's not something I want to be forced into on a newly purchased camera that costs this much when other, lesser cameras don't have this problem, and this camera gets it right in indoor lighting. If my camera is not working correctly, it was only purchased 4 days ago and I'll drive to the store I bought it and exchange it for one that works properly in a couple days. I would rather do that than adjust my way of working to a defective camera. Before doing so, I just want to be really sure that (a) this IS abnormal behaviour, rather than the way it works for everyone else, and (b) that it's a problem with the camera rather than user error.

I'm getting the sense that it's not user error, well at least not something obvious I've missed. As to how others' E1Mkii cameras operate, I haven't quite gotten a sense of that yet. I could go to the store and test out their demo body and see if it performs differently, but that will take me 1/2 a day and I've not got a lot of free time to spare, so I was hoping others could chime in if this was typical behaviour for their units. Its behaviour was so frustrating this morning that I cannot believe it normally operates like this. If it did, I'm sure there would be a lot of complaining: I had to look very hard to come up with this one other complaint that may (or may not) be a similar issue as mine.