Rear control panel of EP1 and Ep2 Olympus

Elliot

Mu-43 Regular
I have been using the EP1 and now also the EP2 and have had difficulty with the rear control panel. It seems I am always inadvertently hitting the WB button (Most often) and others less often and changing setting without realizing it.

A: Does any one else experience this

B: Has anyone found a shooting method that helps lessen this issue.

C: I do have big hands which of course is a problem but I have given the cameras to others to shoot with having thin fingers and small hands and they seem to experience the same problem.
D: Maybe Olympus can put a lock switch on the back???

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
No, your not alone. I had the same problem and had to train my thumb to go to the top if the housing over the wheel. My thumb learned for fear of being cut off and maybe a thumb relocation.
It's best to look at your thumb, then grip the camera and soon the memory will set in.
I haven't had a problem in months.

I use a Luigi's wrist strap. It has a tab to protect the metal at the lug, the tab fits between my 1st 2 fingers and helps it along.
Shooter

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I have been using the EP1 and now also the EP2 and have had difficulty with the rear control panel. It seems I am always inadvertently hitting the WB button (Most often) and others less often and changing setting without realizing it.

A: Does any one else experience this

B: Has anyone found a shooting method that helps lessen this issue.

C: I do have big hands which of course is a problem but I have given the cameras to others to shoot with having thin fingers and small hands and they seem to experience the same problem.
D: Maybe Olympus can put a lock switch on the back???

I've changed ISO inadvertently, WB, and Focus mode inadvertently. The wheel could have a little more stiffness to it, and the control pad is a tad too sensitive. I have big hands, so I understand. I use the main control wheel for changing apeture and the sub control thumb wheel for exposure. It just doesn't take much to turn the wheel, at the same time, it doesn't touch much to hit the control pad buttons either.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Try a wrist strap... Between your 1st two fingers...then the thumb doesn't even need to be there.....

I'm not sure I follow. Where would the thumb go? Maybe a picture :biggrin:

My thumb when shooting normally rests on where the speaker is. My thumb doesn't touch the wheel at all. The problem that I have is, say ,when changing apeture, and trying to put enough pressure to rotate the wheel, I inadvertently change ISO, WB, or something else, depending on where my thumb was on the wheel.

Dj

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Dj, have you considered switching the functions off? So the wheel still works but the won't trigger the functions?

I rest my thumb on the speaker - where it feels most natural and have learned to rotate the lower dial with gentle pressure, even with thin gloves. I'd like the lower dial to be more 'chunky' though.

Cheers

Brian

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Dj, have you considered switching the functions off? So the wheel still works but the won't trigger the functions?

I rest my thumb on the speaker - where it feels most natural and have learned to rotate the lower dial with gentle pressure, even with thin gloves. I'd like the lower dial to be more 'chunky' though.

Cheers

Brian

Yes, I have thought of this. I haven't tried it yet though. ISO and WB are pretty easy to get to through the super control panel. Then I wouldn't I suppose worry about how hard I turn the wheel. The wheel just needs to be raised more and wider IMHO.

Dj

Elliot

Mu-43 Regular
and the best answer that will work for my pudgy hands is

Turn it off in the menu or use it for the purpose of moving the focus sensor. That works perfect for me. Thanks for all the great replies.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
With the wrist strap and the fingers between the strap, the thumb goes where Brian's end up....I kinda get it just across the top frame and on the speaker....

It's a good target point...

Latest threads

Top Bottom