1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rear control dial issue

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JamesD, Dec 17, 2015.

1. JamesD

JamesD Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2015
    Elk Grove, CA
    Jim Landers
    Must be a record. Two help threads in as many minutes. i just got my EM-1 back from service. Rear control dial was skipping. Thank you Precision Camera, now it is totally non functional. As a new user, and not being totally familiar with all the menu options, (is anybody?) before I call Olympus and make a stink, I want to be sure that there is no menu option that inadvertently might have de activated the dial. I doubt it since I tried a total reset just to be sure. Thanks

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Is the two way switch on 2 with nothing assigned to that position?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  3. JamesD

JamesD Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2015
    Elk Grove, CA
    Jim Landers
    No, good thought though. Thanks Ross

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    There is a set of menu options for changing the functions of the control dial. Check those and make sure they are setup to do what you think they should be. I change mine from the factory default to work like my Nikon DSLRs.

5. JamesD

JamesD Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2015
    Elk Grove, CA
    Jim Landers
    Thanks Gryphon. That was the first thing I tried after finding it didn't work. I have EC set on the rear dial of all my cameras.

6. JamesD

JamesD Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2015
    Elk Grove, CA
    Jim Landers
    Thanks for the input. It's on it's way back to Olympus. Sorry to hear that Olympus has outsourced repair to Precision. What a disaster they are.

7. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Yeah...sometimes things a little funny when dealing with them...however if a repair comes back incorrect from them Olympus often has you send back to a different location...a PA location. And then things are always perfect.

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The PA location is Precision. Look at the Oly repair address and look at Precision's. They are the same: 7 Anngina Drive
    Enfield, CT 06082.

--Ken

9. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    CT is connecticut...PA is Pennsylvania... I didn't see a second address for them in PA? Did I miss something.

The CT address is where stuff usually goes for repair. However, On two occasions Olympus has had me send equipment to a location in PA where I have spoken to internal Olympus reps calling from there. Maybe something is going on that I do not know?

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    My apologies for bad geography! Usually folks refer to the Oly and Precision locations in CT as separate, and my hands were typing faster than my brain was processing. I thought the PA address was their shipping address, but they may have other facilities there as well. Or, they may may review products in need of extra attention there before sending them to CT.

--Ken

11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    PA is an Olympus facility. I spoke with a number of Olympus reps a couple of years ago at Photo Expo. Service and Support are cost centers and not profit centers. Olympus is the only company trying to raise profits by cutting expenses. Service in other countries may be much better, but that's because sales and service are different companies in different areas/countries.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. JamesD

JamesD Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2015
    Elk Grove, CA
    Jim Landers
    I don't have enough experience with Oly service to comment, all I know is that the original "non-repair" went to CT and the service report said Precision Camera. The return went to the same place. Won't be back until Jan 6 or 7. We'll see if they actually addressed the issue this time.

13. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    There are long threads here in rear dial skipping
    It's not unusual to hear about it although not clear how common it is

Just speculation but it's not necessarily the first repair that triggered it

Mine was fixed soon after I bought it new and has been fine ever since

14. JamesD

JamesD Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2015
    Elk Grove, CA
    Jim Landers
    Keeping my fingers crossed. Actually, the first repair was for the skipping. When it came back from repair, it didn't skip any more, because it no longer did anything at all. Totally non functional.

15. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Well, they fixed the skipping . . .

16. JamesD

JamesD Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2015
    Elk Grove, CA
    Jim Landers
    LOL Indeed they did. Well I guess I didn't specify....