1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Realm of the Tsiatko

Discussion in 'Nature' started by grantb, Mar 25, 2012.

1. I really like the b&ws and the colours and shallow dof in the last image.

Is there anything you can tell us about where they taken? Tsiatko; who dat?

2. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks Nic

I took these yesterday just a little way out of town. It's the Northern terminus of the Chehalis Western Trail, near Woodard Bay to be exact. This part of the park is to be closed for the season (spring) in a few days, so the birds can breed in peace. (Haha, the seagulls have already started breeding on my roof, and it's anything but peaceful!) I went out to take advantage of a short bit of nice weather and to shoot the last of my test roll in my newly light-sealed thrift store Canonete QL17 GIII. I had to take some of the same shots with my E-P3 though so I could get that instant digital gratification!

Tsiatko (various names/English spellings) are, in the lore of the local Chehalis tribe, a race of wild Indians. Tall dark and stealthy, they sneak about at night and steal children from the villages, etc. Sasquatch (Bigfoot) enthusiasts have seized upon them and other strange hominids of native legend as more evidence of large hairy man-beasts wandering these woods. The Tsiatko are sometimes called "stick people", and it occurred to me as I reached the end of this trail in the leafless beginnings of springtime that I was in their country. As you can see, it's full of hairy sticks. Also in image 5, you can see an unexpected candid portrait of a Tsiatko on the right (I was just taking a picture of the fern).

Now that I am equipped with a E-P3 and fast glass, I will be sure to capture some nice sharp pictures of the notoriously out-of-foucs 'Squatch one of these days ;)

• Like Like x 3
  3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Grantb, I took 50 + shots today at the local park (state park) and looking at your pictures I thought... WTH? (except yours are better of course) I took very similar shots. :eek::eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Great pictures!!!!

4. Ooh, that sounds a bit creepy. You've might already have an out of focus Sasquatch on the roll on your Canonet!

5. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

You know what I'm talking about. :smile: I saw you are near Estacada. You ever go to the Safari Club with all the crazy taxidermy? I took a bunch of pictures in there but I never processed them.

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Very nice...I really dig shots 3 and 4in particular even though they have been processed very differently....both say "old forest". BTW.....are they great big nests in the trees from shot 6 ?

7. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks. I processed all the color ones with the same filter (color fx bicolor), but with different settings for the position, spread and tilt of the filter. I really have no idea what I'm doing with that stuff, but I'm having fun!

I believe that is a great blue heron rookery in #6. This area of the park will be closing soon in anticipation of their return. Stunning birds, and big!

8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    We are right between Estacada and Oregon City in the woods.

Never been to the Safari Club. Don't make it to Eastacada too much.

Check it out: https://www.mu-43.com/f54/walk-state-park-23380/

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The bird nests is a great shot. Those nest's belong to Gulls? Interesting. (BTW- There isn't any bird properly named "Seagull".)

G

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    And in #1, a place for them to sit. Great story, thanks for sharing.
    G

11. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Thanks, a couple of the shots remind me of the Olympic peninsula so I looked up Woodard Bay from your description. What a beautiful place to be!

• Like Like x 1
  12. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

The nests belong to the great blue heron as far as I can tell. The gulls around here seem to prefer to nest on the roofs of buildings downtown, including my home.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Cool ... gulls also seem to nest everywhere but trees down here as well. Blue Herons are great!

G