1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Really Struggling with EM1..... Help Please Multiple Issues

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by catzatsea, Nov 30, 2013.

1. catzatsea

catzatsea Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

Well after falling in love with the EM5 and having great success with it I decided to jump on the band wagon and upgrade, however I just cant seem to get decent anything out of it. I have made the custom settings the same as the EM 5 to begin with I though I would tweak from there but I just cant seem to get a result, the pixels are awful focus is soft lots of noise and grain (with Filter off it is scary with it on high just makes my focus to soft.)

I am speaking to the company that I purchased it from and have sent them like for like pictures with the EM5, I have updated the Firmware but either I am doing something drastically wrong in the settings in which I am hoping you good people can help me with or the camera needs to go back.

The other issues I am having with it is that it just isnt picking up auto focus at half with the Pro lens it does with any other lens.

So far I have figured out that it wants to push the ISO to as high as possible all the time, I manually reset it back to 200 but then it takes the pic at 1200.

Yes I am only an amateur but one that was super keen and felt ready for the step up and I gotta say after such consistant success with the EM5 I think instead of selling it I may just stick with it....

Please Help

Thanks in Advance.

O and my main focus is wild life, birds and outdoors.... Happy to post pics as requested.....

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think we need some pics, with EXIF data.

3. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    that and start with a factory reset....making a whole load of setting changes then wondering how you get what you get isn't the easiest way to approach it - there are simply too many settings.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    What mode are you shooting in? I don't really know how any of the cams really behave in auto or program shift since I never use either, but if you've got it set to manual, aperture priority or shutter priority, and the ISO set to 200, it should just stay at 200. Like pdk42 said, example pictures with intact EXIF info should help us figure out what's going on.

That said, using the exact same settings on the E-M5 and the E-M1 should yield a pretty much idential photograph.

5. catzatsea

catzatsea Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    I will post a couple of different scenarios.....

L6.

LUMIX G VARIO 100-300/F4.0-5.6 , ISO 200 Focal 300mm f/ 6.3 Shutter 1/640

Auto White Balance Auto Exposure

This particular pic has way too many issues to count........ And must say is one of the better ones

6. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Well, for starters it's not in focus. And/or camera shake. In other words things the photographer needs to attend to first.

7. catzatsea

catzatsea Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    This one has severe issues with the sky, I never had this problem ( dependent on time of day with the EM 5) and have taken many photos just like it.

LUMIX G VARIO 100-300/F4.0-5.6, ISO 200, 300 mm, f/ 7.1, 1/1000 Auto White Balance on Sport Program in case he took flight ( In which I have had great success with the Em 5 with)

L4.

I do plan to isolate it though .......

8. catzatsea

catzatsea Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    I get that I need to have a learning curve but what I dont get it is a pretty straight forward picture and I have many from my EM5 that are spot on......... surely one doesnt need a triopod for everything??

Saying that I am having huge focusing issues, I have tried the small point, 9 point and both the above where on the 32 point hence the frustration......

9. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Are these straight jpgs? What's the sharpening setting? The only issue I see with the sky is some sharpening artifacts. At least that's what it looks like to me. Is the lens IS or body IbIS on? Both together is asking for trouble with the 100-300. My personal experience was that the lens IS worked better with that lens.

For all of these shots I would go with small box, select the AF point and agile shot AF

10. catzatsea

catzatsea Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    Taken with the EM 5 Same Lens

Olympus LUMIX G VARIO 100-300/F4.0-5.6, ISO 200, 286 mm f/ 7.1, 1/1000 Auto white balance and Sport Program (Most of my birds are).

kook.

11. catzatsea

catzatsea Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    No Sharpening Mattia - On that pic at all, Just some tweaks with the colour.

12. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Other thought: is the picture mode set to vivid instead of natural or neutral? That might over saturate some if your images. The E-M5 shot is less saturated and sharpened.

13. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    you haven't listed any camera settings yet.............

I get an impression of a hugely oversharpened image in the last (second posted) but on my monitor the sky looks.......blue

14. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I believe the 0 sharpening is still sharpened. You can set it to negative numbers if I recall. Can't check, the E-M5 was stolen and the E-M1 hasn't arrived yet...

15. catzatsea

catzatsea Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    K Thanks Guys, I want to master this camera and get going with it, it is just fustrating when you make trips out all excited, especially when you had some great opportunities then to get home to view everything OOF etc etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Photo Owl what camera settings do you want?? Happy to go through the entire lot if needed :)

16. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    picture mode, and confirmation that you haven't 'tweaked any of the other elements from the defaults'

NF setting

jpeg compression being shot

when you say you have 'tweaked the colour' it obviously begs the question of how - colour creator, jpeg settings or external software

what I'm trying to say is that an OOC jpeg on default settings is a lot easier to relate to. I can take a perfect file from a 3Ds and kill it by minor changes and multiple saves and uploads via various sites.

as presented your second image looks like a solid capture with either inappropriate jpeg settings somewhere along the line or inappropriate pp

17. catzatsea

catzatsea Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    A - AF Mode for some reasons seems to be unavailable, Full Time AF (Off), AEL/ AFL - s3/c2/m3, reset Lens On, Bulb Time - Off, MF Assist (Off), Set Home (Small Dot IS), AF Illum (Off), Face (Off) AF Area Pointer (Off) C- AF Lock (Normal)

EV Setup (1EV), Noise (auto) Noise Filter (standard) ISO Auto, Iso Step 1/3 EV, Auto Set (200 - 1250) ( I did that because it keep jumping up to a very high ISO) ISO Auto p/A/S.

Happy to keep posting settings if needed???

Picture Mode : Vivid so I will change that back to Neutral

Pixel Count : L SF

Shooting in Raw and JPeg, Transferring to Aperture, Using an Extreme Pro Memory Card.

18. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Upload a RAW from one of the shots you feel has problems so we can take a look.

19. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Hmm - as to not being able to get focus with the 100-300: what focus settings are you using? Might I suggest that you have a go using the small focus points (once you are in small focus point mode, you can select using the touch screen or the arrow buttons) to see whether that helps? I have never used the 100-300 so cannot comment in much detail, but I have the 12-40, and that is amazingly fast to focus (and very accurate, too).

As to the JPEG issues, do you use RAW+JPEG mode? Using RAW is recommended for reasonably serious photography, as it makes a huge difference to what can be done in post-processing.

One other thing to try for the JPEGs - go to: Menu>1>Picture Mode>3. Natural>Gradation and try it with both (1) Normal and (3) Auto. If your picture mode is anything other than "Natural", change it to "Natural" and see if this makes things any better. Also ensure that "Contrast" "Sharpness" and "Saturation" in the "3. Natural" sub-menu are all at zero.

Incidentally, issues aside, those photographs are excellent.

20. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Not sure what you mean by EV Setup (1EV) unless that is for bracketing.

These are just some suggestions -

Stay out of Sport scene mode or any other scene mode - the scene modes set a variety of settings that may or may not work with what you have set up. The scene modes also lock out some settings you may want to change. That is why A-AF was not avaiable.

Since Olympus does not tell us what settings are changed, unless you know what they are it is very hard to trouble shoot problems.

Turn off ISO Auto. Set an ISO - bright sunlight use LOW or 200.

Since you are shooting animals use S, shutter-priority or A, aperture-priority. But make sure your shutter speed stays up (1/2x focal length) or just use 1/600 or faster with the 100-300 lens.

Change AEL/AFL to S1/C2/M1 - and use S-AF until you start getting the focus where you want. Then maybe change to C-AF. C-AF and C-AF+TR has some unique characteristics when using 9 or more focusing target areas and/or combined with ESP metering.

Use 1 focus target or nine - which you can pretty much stays on your subject and your target pretty much fills the focus zone.

As for picture modes - Natural, Muted or Vivid should all work with above settings. I'd stay in Vivid if that is what you like. As soon as you set a scene mode I have no idea how scene and picture modes interact which each other.