1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Really Right Stuff L-bracket with grip for OMD EM-5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by rklepper, Jan 21, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I am used to using L-brackets on all of my cameras. I ordered the RRS L-bracket and I really like it. It gives me the ability to mount the camera in either orientation to my tripod. I also bought the one with the optional grip and am glad that I did. It does not interfere with access to either the battery compartment or to the sd card.

Hopefully the photos are sufficient as all I had here was the OMD and the ipad. :(

Anyway, here are a few photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    Agreed! The L also helps if/when using the LCD screen/shooting video.
    RRS rocks, they just have supply/demand issues at times.

3. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I love RRS stuff. I have never had an issue getting what I need and when I need it. Perhaps I have just been really lucky. :)

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have just the base plate, and I'm really happy with it. Does the L block access to the USB/remote port?

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

5. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    No everything is just as accessible as it should be.

Doc

• Like Like x 1
  6. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Here are a couple more showing the access to the SD card slot and to the USB/Remote Port (again ipad photos so they kind of suck, but you get the idea).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. tripleteamed

tripleteamed Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    Really Right Stuff + Sling Strap (Peakdesign Leash)

I know I'm bringing up a thread from dead, but I'm so excited that I think I've finally found my perfect sling strap combo for my OMD-EM5!

I've always wanted a sling, but didn't like the designs where you have to mount it to the bottom of your camera (aka Joby Ultrafit, Black Rapid, etc.). I hated having the uneven plate plus strap at the bottom when I wasn't using the camera. Hanging it upside down wasn't great either (but less of a nuisance.)

I finally tried out PeakDesign's Leash. I liked the idea of having anchors that I could move around in case I wanted to hang the camera in a traditional way around my neck. I could make it a leash using a base plate which they sell, but I didn't like it sitting on the table unbalanced when not in use (as I stated earlier). This might just be me!

After looking at my RRS grip, I saw that I could drill a whole through an existing screw hole (for the L Bracket) and use my camera as a leash with that new hole! I proceeded to do so and found that it's perfect! This didn't compromise the screw threads in case I needed it later.

For the small number of us who overspent on the RRS grip, this may make you feel a little better about doing so (if you wanted a good leash solution).

Here are some images.
    20130519_010717.
    20130519_010519.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I have two (maybe three) questions:
    (1) where did you get the silver camera plate when all that appears in RRS's online catalog is the black version?
    (2) When you drilled through the existing how did you obliterate the screw threads and thereby destroy the L-plate mounting option? and
    (3) If you did not obliterate the screw threads, aren't you concerned about the screw threads abrading the Peak Designs attachment cord?

9. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    You can keep the L-plate intact and use a baseplate attachment on your strap to attach to the vertical section, which I do with my Black Rapid and D7000 with the RRS L-plate. Keeps the bottom intact, and the camera no longer hangs upside down. I haven't done the same on my E-M5 as the Black Rapid just seems like overkill for the camera.

10. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    How are you supposed to plug in a remote release AND use it on a tripod? Does not look like you can do it. Kind of compromises the real use for an L-plate, no?

Frankly, I view this as being on Olumpus. Crappy place to put the sockets.

woof!

11. tripleteamed

Aug 20, 2012
    1) When I bought my plates from RRS, they sold the silver one. They no longer show it in their catalog, but i wouldn't be surprised if they could do it if someone requested it.
    2) No, the I used a smaller bit that didn't impact the threads.
    3) Not really the threads, but the edge of the hole. I'll try to file it down later, but will keep an eye on it.

I'll post some additional pictures later.

12. tripleteamed

Aug 20, 2012
    Good idea! I rarely use the L bracket, so I took it off to reduced the bulk. :) I do have the capture plate from PeakDesign. I can image my camera hanging in a horizontal position on my chest (connected to my backpack strap). Would make it easy to remove, but look funny.

13. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    That looks nice. I like the look of RRS stuff in general. Shipping to Malaysia would probably be pretty dear...

14. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I frequently use the "L" side of the L-bracket, especially when making portrait-mode single row panoramas. Woof's question may be significant (re: use of the remote socket AND the "L" side) but I haven't made all the measurements to be sure. I wonder if anyone sells an L-shaped multipurpose connector or extension that doesn't interfere with the Arca-Swiss clamp. Anybody know?

15. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Thanks. This is the BEST way to make panoramas and I do it a lot. When on a tripod, 50% of my shots are portrait.

The question is: In Portrait orientation on a tripod, is the remote port blocked from use. In landscape it is not obviously.

Hmmm, I always thought the size was proprietary. Perhaps not. I'd really like something definitive here. It actually is a complete and utter disappointment if the port is blocked in portrait mode.

woof!

16. bassman

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Not disagreeing with the port problem in portrait mode. But if you're using a remote just to avoid shaking the camera, I've found that the 2 second timer works well for this purpose. And it's one less thing to carry.

17. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Thanks. Appreciate this.

I'd simply ask - And for brackets?

woof!

18. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    It's one less thing to carry, but one more thing to adjust in settings. I'd rather carry the cord.

19. tripleteamed

Aug 20, 2012
  20. bassman

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott