Really not liking strap that came with E-M5 MK II. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by So Thankful, Jan 30, 2016.

1. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    I need to get a different strap for my E-M5 MK II. The strap that comes with it is far to wide ands stiff for my tastes.
    I like the Peak Designs Leash and Cuff combo but I just can't see spending $50.00 for it.
    Do you all know of anything similar but at a reasonable price?
  2. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    If you're looking for reasonably priced, but very comfortable straps, check out OpTech. OP/TECH USA | Leading manufacturer of neoprene camera straps
    I don't care for neck straps, so I use their slings and various connectors and straps to customize it for my needs. Their stuff is modular and you can mix and match pads and straps to get what you need. It doesn't look it is that robust, but I've never had any of it fail. Great stuff, very reasonable, and Made in the USA, if that matters to you. Amazon also sells their stuff, sometimes on sale.

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling
    OP/TECH USA Lens Loops System Connector for big lenses
    OP/TECH USA Classic Strap I used the pad from this to swap for the one that comes with the Utility Strap Sling because the original one was a little too big (when I switched from Canon to Olympus).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I much prefer a wrist strap these days. The Gordy leather strap is excellent. Do a search for it.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Joby Ultrafit sling is about $30USD.

I was happy with mine until the PD Slide cane out, with I prefer as it's convertible between shoulder sling and neck strap.

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I use a Gariz wrist strap, they are about $25.00 on eBay and Amazon.
  6. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    I have looked at OP/TECH. They may be an option. Just not sure I want neoprene.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  7. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    I will look it up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  8. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Rob Campbell
    I also vouch for the Gordy straps. They're excellent, well made and great customer service. You have to break the strap in a bit, but once you've spent a bit of time with it, they get nice and soft. I have 2 of them!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    FYI you can often find coupon codes for Peak Design if you Google (generally 10 or 15% off). That helps a little bit if you don't find any straps you like as well as the Leash and Cuff. Incidentally, I love my Peak Design Leash and Cuff combo and would buy them again. Super light weight and comfortable, and they fold so easily into bags without taking up much room. I think I did get mine with a coupon code.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Just get the peak and eat ramen noodles for a week.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Try I bought their thin strap for my GX7, and like it very much. Reasonable prices, too.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I use a Gordy's wrist strap for everyday, but for a shoulder strap I just dropped the OpTech for the new Peak Design Slide Lite. I'm considering their wrist strap too. I don't like everything PD does, their bag will be going up for sale soon, but the strap and belt clip are first rate.
  13. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    I also have the SlideLite and the Cuff, and they are far better than the Op/Tech, which is in a box since the PeakDesign's arrived.
  14. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    artist and artisan silk - this will make you think the peak is cheap.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I use PeakDesign connectors and cuffs however I don't use a neck strap, the PD stuff is generally good quality.
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    I totally agree. When I first got my EM5, I went into my local camera store (its a fabulous store) and they recommended the OP/TECH strap. I have transferred it to my EM5II. Its very comfortable and relatively cheap.
  18. gorilla

gorilla Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2010
  19. Straps are as much a personal choice as bags. Stiff, scratchy ones are absolutely suck..wish the manufacturers would just not even bother. Aftermarket items ran all over the place as far as comfort goes. One thing going for us smaller camera users is that the support equipment..everything from tripods to straps..can be downsized. No more gigantic guitar type straps for these guys. But anything hanging around your neck for hours at a time can become uncomfortable or a royal PIA...and it's always the little things that annoy the most. Two things about neoprene straps..I'm always shifting the camera around on my neck while either wearing it straight in front or to the side bandolero style. The neoprene pad doesn't slide well over a tends to stick. So I looked around on Amazon and found these that have just enough of a pad for the camera size and the pad is made of woven nylon that slides easily and is very comfortable. And the price is OK too. : Foto&Tech Padded Neck Shoulder Strap with Black Grosgrain Ties for Fujifilm Samsung Sony Olympus Panasonic Canon Nikon Pentax Compact Cameras Point and Shoots Cameras : Camera & Photo
  20. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Well I just bit the bullet and got the Peak Designs Leash and Cuff. I honestly could not find another option the checked all my boxes. Thanks everyone for your input.
    • Like Like x 3