1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Really new at this, feedback appreciated

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by HappyEisentrout, Mar 10, 2011.

1. HappyEisentrout

HappyEisentrout Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2011
    Sandusky, OH
    I've always had just point and shoots before my E-PL1 and I'm still trying to get the hang of it. If that wasn't enough to think about, I'm not the best at PP. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    P3091056-1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The subject is a little to close for my taste, as the wide angle close up is not to faltering. DOF is a little bit of a problem, eyes in focus, but the mouth is not. It throws off the shot. It works if the ears are blur a little, but having the mouth blur does not work well.

What were your camera settings? I would suggesting down a little and keep the focus where you have it for the eyes, as that did turn out well. and it should give you less blur on the month area. Also the shot is a little under expose in the eyes. As it is a bit dark and that it draws attention, but the details are lost.

But you are off to a good start,

3. johncox111

johncox111 Mu-43 Rookie

Yeah... the DoF is a small problem but you can never see that when your framing up a picture of an animal. It would be great to see that with a bit more contrast, theres almost too much grey in there for me, but it's a great shot.

4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Don't cut the poor kitty's ears and try to avoid composing the subject in the center. To me that shallow depth of field does work pretty well and the soft look of the contrast as well. But as you know, we all have different likes.

5. The focus on the eyes is good but foreground blur is difficult to make work. I like to add more contrast and sharpness then I would normally when working in B&W.

6. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    You've also got a lot in the middle of the greys and not so much at the ends, so it looks more washed out than if you'd used higher contrast. (This is a default color->B&W transformation, looks like.)

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

The white point needs to be reset in a Levels adjustment. Easy done in free software - ask if you'd like a quick tutorial. :biggrin::biggrin:

8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Welcome aboard.....
    Nice cat photo...hmmmm get that sig off it... it draws the eye away from the eyes....
    shooter

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Happy, as I wrote to you in my PM, I've moved your thread in here into Image Works which is our members only "members helping members" forum with some really great threads, that sticky above A primer on Aperture, f stops, ISO and EV compensation and more. If you haven't read that sticky thread, you should because all that stuff is extremely important. Learning how to use any new camera is pretty important when it comes to being able to get the kind of image one wants. Believe me, I know - when I started down this digital road, I didn't even know that the camera had something that controlled white balance and I knew little if anything about "post processing" digital files... Fortunately there are a whole bunch of very helpful and very knowledgeable members here.:thumbup:

What sort of software are you using for your pictures with this E-PL1 and which lens did you use to take your cat's portrait?

10. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    This is my attempt at buffing it up in Lightroom (other software has the facilities to do what I did here):

[​IMG]

The problems were in the nose, neck and whisker stems where there is almost no detail captured. So you either have it all soft (which may be the better option) or as here a contrast in sharpness where you don't want it.
    You might get a better result just by being a bit further back and cropping if you want the face that close.

11. scotth

scotth Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2011
    Michigan
    The picture looks a little underexposed to me, and the eyes look really dark. Some of that is probably in the processing, but I am guessing some of it is because the light was flat.

Cats can take a lot of patience to photograph well, but they do like to sit in the sun and they do like to look out the window. When I grab my camera to take a picture of my cat it is usually because she is in some interesting light. The light in the eyes is especially important; a cat's eyes can be very expressive, and they are usually the first thing I look at.

12. BBW

Reminder - it is very important to ask permission before editing anyone's photographs unless they've got the option "Image Editing OK" showing up - or they've mentioned its being OK within their post. I know you meant well, Spuff and chances are really good that HappyEisentrout will be just fine with this, but it is my duty to bring this up. :thumbup:

P.S. Image Editing OK (or not) is changeable via one's User Control Panel.

13. HappyEisentrout

Mar 6, 2011
    Sandusky, OH
    I appreciate all your feedback guys. Learning comes with doing so I'm off to the right start. I figure that I'll figure the camera out much faster than I will fill figure out PP. I don't really even know where to start.

At least I have the lazy cat to be my model, it beats the hyper dog any day of the week. Once amusement park season starts up, then my real models come out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BBW

Let's see what HappyEisentrout hast to say, I'm guessing it's fine with him, Spuff. Didn't mean to come down on you - we all need to remember this stuff.:smile:

16. HappyEisentrout

Mar 6, 2011
    Sandusky, OH
    It's totally fine with me. I guess I didn't check that box when I signed up. I appreciate all your feedback and help.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    I think it's a lot underexposed. Bump up the exposure compensation if you can by at least a stop. Depending on how you were metering, it's possible that the white face of this stately feline has fooled the meter to underexpose by a lot. I'm also assuming that m43 cameras (mine's in the mail) operate the same as DSLRs as far as metering and exposure compensation.

Compositionally, I think it's just fine. It could use more depth of field, but the focus is where it needs to be.

18. HappyEisentrout

Mar 6, 2011
    Sandusky, OH
    Ok, So I gave this thing another try but with a new subject. I fixed the DOF issues, I think. This is my special lady, hardly working like always. Hopefully I am starting to wrap my head around this.

Thanks for all the previous feedback and give as much as you can. You're doing nothing but helping a young kid learn something that he wants to be able to do for the rest of his life.

14mm f3.5 1/20 ISO-1600
    animals_3-112-11_008-5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  19. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Do you like that shot? I do. I might reduce the contrast a little, since the dog is SO black and then SO white (I've got one too)... but it's fine as is to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.