Really miss having an OVF

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by flipmack, Nov 7, 2013.

1. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    So I was playing around with my E-1 yesterday and after a few frames, I found that I really miss having an OVF.

I've used the VF1 and I had it for at most a few days because it only works well with pancake lenses. Otherwise, I've owned both the VF2 and the VF3 and though both EVFs work well, I still didn't have that 'connection' that I feel with a scene when using an OVF.

I'm seriously thinking about going back to regular 4/3s exclusively and even picking up a used E-3...but hold on to the GF1 for the fisheye (I love that lens). The E-1 is on its last legs and I can't trust it for outings and events...and I can always use my wife's E-410, even with its super tiny viewfinder.

I'd sell off my EPM1, Sigma 19, and Panasonic 14-42.

Anyway, I'm rambling...but I am looking for opinions. am I out of my mind for considering this?

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using Mu-43 mobile app
  2. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    Have you tried the EM-1 EVF? I came from a 1D Mark II with a large OVF and although the OVF is better, I can't say I miss the OVF so much that I would want to sacrifice all the other benefits that I have with this camera. There's also benefits to the EVF that you gain in being able to see the effects of exposure, live histogram, etc.
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is certainly a preference and there is no wrong or right answer.

Part of the reason why I enjoy shooting with a rangefinder in part involves the optical viewfinder that is offered in this type of system.

There is lots to like about the EVF. Much was already mentioned.

If you are happy with the older 4/3rds bodies there is certainly a lot of hardware on the used market to support you. No reason why not... if you don't like the EVF viewfinder, you can't change that even with people's opinions.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    Unfortunately, I have too many bodies and would need to sell almost all of them to get the E-M1...

I don't think it's an issue of size of OVF - I think it's an issue of seeing what's there *without* seeing anything extraneous. I know that the EVF can be adjusted to display specific information, but in my case, there's something about an OVF that just can't be matched with the EVFs that I have used.

It is definitely a preference...and preferences are fleeting. In any case, I've put up a lot of my gear in the buy/sell forum.
  5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    There are always used E-1's for sale on ebay for $100-300 depending on shutter count and lenses (if any) they come with.
  6. Andrew Hinerfeld

Andrew Hinerfeld Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 25, 2013
    The other day I went out shooting with my E-3 and my brand new OM-D em-1. Going back and forth between the 2 cameras made me appreciate the qualities of both systems. Each make me get in a different mind set when shooting. With the EVF I find that I am doing "post processing" while shooting (an oxymoron, I know) while with the E-3, I am thinking more about capturing a RAW image. Anyway, I enjoy shooting with both equally and glad that both make good use of my Zuikos 4/3 lenses. BTW, my 6 year old son was shooting mostly with the OMD. Below are some of the unadulterated images he took using iAuto setting.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  7. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    in the old days I remember missing indoor, focus with an OVF, now
    the gain makes everything much easier........ ;-)
  8. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    This. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I still shoot with both systems, but for me, I feel like I'm doing more work to take a picture with my E-410, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I actually use my exposure compensation button and I actually have to pay attention to metering.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using Mu-43 mobile app