Really disappointed with my new E-M10IV

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
If you're thinking that maybe the announcement tomorrow will be something about a new model outside the 3-line concept, I agree. This is especially since the model lines and upgrades got confused some when the E-M5.3 came out before the E-M1.3, so no one knows what to expect next, I think. We shall see...

BruceRH

Mu-43 Veteran
I bought a 20% off refurb 10iv and absolutely love it! Of course my expectations were such that I was not disappointed. I tried the 10iii and the lack of the silent shutter option killed it for me (I know it was available in I think scenes menus, but it wasn’t easily selected on the MCP). I love the grip of the 10iv, I like having a fill flash, and a tilt screen. It is an excellent camera to take when photography might not be the number one priority or when out for dinner and my wife wants a picture in a dim restaurant. Just put the tiny 17mm f1.8 on it and you have a very capable camera in a very small, lightweight package.

Honestly, I will probably sell my 5 MKiii because the 10iv has kind of taken its place. If I want to use larger lenses, the EM1 MKiii is used or the EM1X which I bought dirt cheap used. The 5 series is now the odd man out with the 10 series finally getting the 20mp sensor and I love having a tilt screen! It is great to have choices!

Would I like to have more menu options so that I can seamlessly operate any Olympus body? Of course I would but I also understand that product differentiation is important for marketing purposes. The EM10 MKiv is an excellent camera and meets the ETHOS, IMHO, of what MFT originally set out to be, a very capable but small system. For what I use it for, it works very well.

Last edited:
Real Name
Cata
I bought a 20% off refurb 10iv and absolutely love it! Of course my expectations were such that I was not disappointed. I tried the 10iii and the lack of the silent shutter option killed it for me (I know it was available in I think scenes menus, but it wasn’t easily selected on the MCP). I love the grip of the 10iv, I like having a fill flash, and a tilt screen. It is an excellent camera to take when photography might not be the number one priority or when out for dinner and my wife wants a picture in a dim restaurant. Just put the tiny 17mm f1.8 on it and you have a very capable camera in a very small, lightweight package.
Well, I am 100% in agreement with you. You can replace the "tiny 17mm...." with one of the Pan(a)cakes and you have my user scenario.

If I want to use larger lenses,
I opted, here, for FF route - its true, it requires a new set of lenses.
The EM10 MKiv is an excellent camera and meets the ETHOS, IMHO, of what MFT originally set out to be, a very capable but small system. For what I use it for, it works very well.

Yes, it was that ETHOS that attracted me into this system, then things drifted more and more towards PRO (read "increase weight and size"), so I decided if I am to go the PRO route it will be FF (not that I make any money from photography).

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Which begs the question: Why not use a simplified menu/settings as default BUT add an option to enable "advanced mode" (with the now removed options)? The features are/were there, why not just hide them by default. I remember the older Oly cameras had some of the menus hidden until you changed one setting to bring more menus visible. They could have AND SHOULD HAVE done that with the latest E-M10s. Then the camera would suit the absolute beginners who just want to press shutter but wouldn't annoy the ones who prefer to have more control of their equipment. Win-win. And I bet the implementation would have taken less time than removing all the menus from the mk4. :p
I think this might actually be harder than you might think. Remember in the Mark I & II the entire Custom Menu was not visible by default. I image going through there was not quick or easy. But I also image what happens when a hidden setting is change then maybe the user decides to turn off the advanced settings, the system would have to do a hard and complete reset.

You have specific things you want that aren't available in the Mark III or IV. But anyone else, I might suggest you really look at your particular use case. I sold off my Pen F and ended up replacing it with the E-P7. What am I missing? Well sure I’d rather have an EVF instead of the popup flash. And yes, it’s missing the 4th pin in the hot shoe to power the Oly FL-LM3. At least I can tilt the popup up for bounce, not as helpful in portrait mode, but better than nothing. Otherwise? I wish I could assign metering to one of the function buttons. I wish I could change the arrow pad to direct AF control. That's it. So far everything else that I've played around with in the AP has been fine. And I like the interface/controls for color/mono modes much better than on the Pen F.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
If you're thinking that maybe the announcement tomorrow will be something about a new model outside the 3-line concept, I agree. This is especially since the model lines and upgrades got confused some when the E-M5.3 came out before the E-M1.3, so no one knows what to expect next, I think. We shall see...
ummm.....

The E-M5.3 should have come out before the E-M1.3 since the original E-M5 came out over a year before the E-M1 and the E-M5.2 came out before the E-M1.2.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
ummm.....

The E-M5.3 should have come out before the E-M1.3 since the original E-M5 came out over a year before the E-M1 and the E-M5.2 came out before the E-M1.2.
Yeah, I guess you have a point. Maybe it's just because I wasn't paying much attention to the E-M1 line that it seemd out of order.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom