1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Really confused and need help

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by elandel, Jun 26, 2011.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi everbody,

It's a little bit I'm not writing in this forum because I owned an Epl-1 and sold it out to buy a Pentax K5 I needed.

Now I really need a second, little, great body and am very confused because I read a G2 review and liked it.

But I have my concerns: I would use the m4/3 with legacy lens and think that IBIS is usefull if not necessary. On the other hand G2 seems a very easy to use camer4a with bottons where they should be. I am not really complaining about my ex-Epl-1 that I really loved and it gave me many satisfactions but now that I have to buy a new one which one to choose? G2 or Oly? Also prize is very important and wevfinder also.

Can anyone help me making a decision.

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I went from an E-PL1 with a VF2 to a G2. The built in viewfinder on the G2 is terrific (as good as the much loved VF2) and the flip out LCD is very useful. I find the IQ to be similar between the two cameras. JPEg OOC is a bit nicer on the Olympus using the default settings. I find if I tweak the settings on the G2 they are very very close. When shooting RAW they are virtually identical. The biggest thing about the G2 as opposed to any of the current Olympus cameras is how easy it is to use. The buttons are just where you need then and they make using manual focus lenses a snap.

The thing that I was hesitant about was the lack of IBIS in the G2. As i turns out it has been a non issue. The better handling of the G2 more than outweighs the lack of IBIS (besides I never had IBIS on my OM1 and OM2 and that worked out fine). I have found that the G2 is my absolute favorite camera for using legacy glass with. I am not knocking the Olympus cameras...they are terrific (I have an E-P1 as well) but for legacy glass the G2 is tough to beat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks for reply. You know that is my major hesitation: IBIS or not with legacy lenses. And what about zoom lenses? How does it work? Can you catch images without blur? I know it seems a useless question with a K5 I have, but I will not use them together.

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    High shutter speed, a good grip/stance and/or tripod.

Remember IS (relatively) new - theres a hundred years worth of fantastic non-IS photos in the world.

• Like Like x 1
  5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thats right but I'm not as far a good photographer like them.:rolleyes:

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, technique is far more important than IS. IS is just an extra bonus.

PS, you should really look into the G3 if you can fit it into your budget. I think it's quite an improvement over the G2... except for the extra reliance on the touch screen, but the G2 was already moving in that direction from the G1.

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    That's the problem:budget. Here in Italy you can find a G2 for around 400 euro, the G3 is far away from my budget.
    I have already given it up for my K5:redface:

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    When the price dropped recently I went from an Oly E600 to a G2 in order to use some old Leica lenses I have. Once I got used to the differences it has been easy to use.

It's much easier to focus legacy lenses with the evf. I do miss the IBIS sometimes but I manage OK without it. If Olympus ever introduces a body with evf, articulated screen and ibis I expect I'll be trading.

Fred

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    If Oly ever introduces a body with all those things it will be very expensive I think, but maybe I'll think about trading my K5.

For now I am undecided between Epl-1 and G2 . the only I can actually afford.

How is the image quality and AF in low light. And the WB is it accurate? I suppose there are no Front-Back focus issues?

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Not very expensive, if the rumors of the upcoming announcement on June 30th are to be believed. All this is what is rumored to be included in the new E-PL3, and as a "Lite" model you can expect it to be affordable. Plus the AF performance is rumored to be much improved as well.

I was testing out the new Tracking Focus system on the E-PL2 today with a dog fetching competition, and I have to say that it is SO much better than the old PENs. I still prefer manual focus on my SWD lens, though. I seem to be just as fast now with the new Tracking AF vs. good manual focus technique, but the manual is still more reliable as I would expect. Keep in mind that I'm using non-CDAF optimized lenses!

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Then it's better for me to wait another few days before deciding.
    It could be wothwhile.:thumbup:

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I think it could be just the camera you want! Of course, you have to keep in mind that this is just an announcement, meaning it could still be a couple months before you can grab it off the shelf in your country, but you can start pre-ordering right away if it suits you that much. You do have another body, so at least the wait shouldn't kill you that much because of that.

13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    No I think that I can survive in the meantime:smile: But if in the meantime I'll find a bargain withsomething like the G2 then maybe...who knows:thumbup:
    I may come up with G2 - Epl-3 and K5 - thats what you say being addicted:thumbup:

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I have both the G2 and EPL1. I would only get the EPL1 if you get the VF2 with it, especially for legacy glass. Other than the IBIS the G2 is superior in every way to the EPL cameras.

Gordon

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    With Price & viewfinder a priority, & legacy lenses : that rules out the Olympus Pens since with viewfinder they become expensive.
    You've got to choose a Lumix and that leaves out the GH2 on price, G3 maybe on availability.
    If you need video go for a G2,
    if you love video go for a GH1 body if you can find a good price.
    If video is unimportant save yourself loads of money and get a used G1.

• Like Like x 2
  16. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Yes, it might be expensive. I'd probably have to wait for the price drop preceding the next generation. I looked at both the E and EP cameras but the evf is very important me. Adding the VF-2 to the EPL-1 would cost an additional $250.

Image quality in low light is good if it's properly exposed. This means exposing for your subject not for the light sources in the frame. I usually shoot raw and convert in Aperture. Aperture produces a somewhat film-like grain but remains sharp. The in camera jpegs look more smeared. If it means anything to you I preferred developing TriX in Rodinal instead of HC-110.

Both of the autofocus lenses I have (one native and one four-thirds) focus fine in lower light. The 14-42 Oly four-thirds lens is slower, the Panny 45-200 is fast. There is an assit lamp that can be deactivated if you need to be more discrete.

Outside and daylit interiors I use the shady white balance setting. Auto works fine but it cancels out the color of the light. If there is a color cast I can change during the raw conversion. Kodachrome color balance was always the same for every shot and it worked fine. Artificially lit interiors I use auto. In either case if color reproduction is important I'll set a custom white balance with a piece of white paper.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks for the reply. Quite sinthetic and very precise.

I don't know if I need video because the K5 has video capabilities but if the second body has video, well it's wellcome.

Maybe I'll consider G2 or used GH1 if the price is the same.

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks for you reply. Very usefull for me.

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Can anybody tell me the difference between G1 G2 and GH1 with regards to IQ and video?

I nearly always shoot jpeg and don't use PP so the pictures must be good OOC.

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The GH1 has the best sensor of those 3 models. :)

Nobody beats Olympus for OOC JPG quality.

• Like Like x 1