Really cheap retailers for E-M1... Should they be trusted?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by emorgan451, Nov 23, 2015.

1. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I was doing a search for an E-M1 to see what the lowest prices were and I came across a few sites that I've never heard of and I can't tell if the cameras are grey market or if the companies are reputable. Anyone heard of or bought from Value Basket, Fumfie, Digital Rev, or 42nd street? The first two are as cheap as most used E-M1s that pop up.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera Body (EM1) Black -

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Body -DigitalRev

42nd Street Photo - Olympus V207010BU000 - OM-D E-M1 - Olympus - Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds DSLR Camera (Black)
  2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Gray market for sure. I'd buy used in great shape
    • Like Like x 2
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

First two are scammers. They will call you back before shipping and make you buy even the included accessories as add ons. DigitalRev is a major retailer out of Hong Kong, so it is grey market with difficult warranty, but reputable. 42nd Street Photo has some pretty scary reviews and is not on the reseller list. Out of the 4, I would only buy from DigitalRev, but knowing that I am not getting a U.S. warranty.

If you want warranty service, buy from someone on this list:
    You can also assume that Olympus has done at least some cursory vetting for dealers they have Authorized.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Just to note, Olympus America will be selling the E-M1 for $900 on Black Friday ("Black Friday Savings start Thursday, 11/26 at 12 a.m. ET.").
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I wouldn't be scared of grey market vendors, many of them offer in country 3rd party warranties. Check the Trust Pilot reviews and make your judgement based on that.
  6. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    How about a refurbished unit?
  7. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I've been buying used from reputable outlets like B & H, Adorama, and KEH. They're certainly not the cheapest but they tend to under rate the wear on the equipment and offer a 90 day warranty. I try to put stuff through a pretty vigorous workout as soon as I get it, but so far have not had any issue. FWIW, I've heard nothing but bad things about 42nd street but have had not direct dealings with them.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    As far as I know, KEH is the best for used stuff out of those 3, plus refurbed from Olympus direct is another way to save a lot.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    Some of us here may want to give a second thought regarding "grey market" (and other) retailers. From what I read today, Canon has filed suit against many of the grey market retailers as of today. They do not feel that these retailers are a positive force in the camera market, nor do they do anything to help with well established retail stores.
    Just a thought......
  10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    42nd St. has been in business since at least the early eighties when I work in a camera shop. They had exactly the same reputation as they do now. I don't mean to defend them, but they obviously offer a service in the market that has a demand.

The camera makers have been trying to shut down grey market sellers for as long as I can remember. They haven't been able to because the sellers aren't doing anything illegal.

The problem is that the camera makers sell their products at different prices in different regions of the world. Once they've sold the product the new owner can do whatever they want with it. That includes selling it at a profit to some one in a region where it's a bargain.

Every time the camera makers have tried to control prices in the US they lost. Every time they've tried to shut down the grey market dealers they've failed.

Caveat emptor

• Like Like x 2
  11. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

The U.K. are almost always at the top of the market when it comes to camera pricing. When I can buy a GX8 for £600 ($900) instead of £900 ($1350), guess which I'll choose? I'll pick a a reseller with a warranty policy backed up with good reviews on Trust Pilot, therefore minimising my risk. We pay 20% tax on purchases, so even if £600 was avoiding tax, then with tax that would be £720. Why is the other £180 justified? I hope that manufacturers respond to the reseller threat by lowering their prices!
  12. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    My advice is to go with tried and true businesses such as B&H and Adorama. Fantastic "deals" more often than not result in a remorseful buyer.
    • Like Like x 1