Really cheap 14mm lenses on ebay

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by shnitz, Feb 26, 2012.

1. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I was browsing lenses on ebay, considering picking up a 14mm or 17mm if I can find one cheap enough, and I noticed a TON of 14mm lenses being sold from Asia. They are claimed to be new, but without packaging, which sounds like they were pulled from a kit. Learning about the prevalence of mirrorless cameras over there, this seems feasible, but has anyone had experience buying these lenses from overseas, and can you recommend any specific sellers? I found one thread about it on dpreview, but I'd assume that there is experience with these sellers here. At such a low price, I can definitely live with the lens' shortcomings and add it to my kit.
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I bought a split kit 14-140 on eBay. No problems at all. Just missing a box.

3. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    Bought a 14mm off UK eBay from a High St photo shop that was part of a split kit for substantially under the lenses normal price.

The Serial Number registered fine on the Panny website for the warranty and the firmware updated no problem.

UK retail prices vary from £190 to £299 for that lens - I got it for £160 and picked it up from the [fairly local] shop complete with receipt and free lens pouch.

Happy Bunny :eek:)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    I live in Taiwan, and the Panasonic stuff seems cheaper here than anywhere, and you are right, they love to break up the kits and sell the parts separately, not just Panasonic, but Canon and others as well.
  5. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010

I bought one.
    It came just protected by a small bubble envelope.
    But it was new and worked without problem, it was a tough call between it and the 12mm i bought later from amazon.DE .
    I ended selling the 14mm for the same price i had bought it ( around 170€)..
  6. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I bought one from podmantech for $188. It is US stock, pulled from a kit and packaged very well. He ships from NJ.
  7. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    The Asian suppliers are legit. The packaging is questionable, but the lenses arrived perfect. One advantage to them is that they have no shame in marking down the cost of the lens on the customs form so I don't have to pay taxes.
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    what about the warranty on these things?
  9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I expect there to be no warranty, as this is essentially a second-hand item. You have no receipt from an authorized dealer, no box, and no warranty papers. With ebay buyer protection, however, if the lens comes to you DOA, you have recourse to protect yourself. That's why I'm seriously considering one of these.
  10. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    For us in the USA, the Panasonic website says "This warranty only applies to products purchased and serviced in the United States or Puerto Rico. This warranty is extended only to the original purchaser of a new product which was not sold 'as is'. A purchase receipt or other proof of the original purchase date is required for warranty service."

I bought one last September. If it didn't break after 7800 miles in the mail bins with only one layer of 1/8" bubble wrap around it, it ought to last another 6 months.
  11. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I got my cheap 14mm from ebay seller "podmantech" because it appeared that the item was in the US (the listing originally said New Jersey, if i remember right), so that international shipping weirdness wouldn't be a problem. But the item was then shipped from a suburb of Seattle (wierd, but whatever), so it got to me right away. No problems at all with the lens.
  12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It's the smart thing to do. The body and lens sold separately is generally worth more than the kit.
  13. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    I purchased one last week from "nomohideo2005" in Taiwan. I will report back when it arrives.
  14. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I got mine the other week for £125 complete with a pouch. The seller boxed it up well and it has the latest firmware. I'm happy with it.
  15. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010

I did the same, the same seller...
    Price range here in Switzerland is form US $ 432.00 to 727.00 ... compared to US $166.50 :thumbup:
  16. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    it's here... my cute little 14mm lens

in just five days! And all in perfect order... :thumbup:
  17. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    ^^ mine took a but longer, but showed up today in perfect order. Updated firmware and now ready to shoot!