Reality check - is the 12-35mm sealed?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nickthetasmaniac, May 21, 2012.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    This is what Panasonic actually says...

"Additionally with a rubber ring on the lens mount, the new lens is designed to stand up against splash and dust..."

Now, an o-ring around the mount does not make a weather-sealed lens unless it's accompanied by a bunch of other o-rings in various places... So does anyone know of anything that actually confirms that the 12-35mm is fully sealed (in the spirit of Zuiko HG/SHG or Pentax DA* lenses), or is it just the single seal?

For the kind of photography I'd buy this lens for (alpine hiking in Tasmania and overseas) this is one of the most important features of the lens...
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010

I suspect if it was fully sealed to Zuiko HG/SHG standards Panasonic would be making rather more of this feature. Everything else about it looks very promising indeed but I wouldn't hang my hopes on full weathersealing until further clarification is forthcoming.
  3. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    That's what I suspect, which is sad because in every other way it looks amazingly good...
  4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    DSLR Magazine, the Spanish site that did the in-depth review claim it is mount AND barrel weather sealed.....(dust, splash and rain).
  5. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I am also concerned at this.

How about the zooming (extending) portion of the lens? Is it also weather sealed?

My understanding is that, the reason why the Olympus 12-50mm has internal zoom is because of the weather sealing? How about the extending zoom of 12-35mm?

Please correct me if I am wrong.
  6. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Many zooms with extending barrels are weather-sealed (ZD 14-54, ZD 12-60, Pentax DA* 16-50/f2.8, Sony 16-50/f2.8)...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Sort of OT, but do you have any links showing the various seals on HG or DA* lenses? I'm curious. Thanks,

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've asked Panasonic this question and will get back here if there is any additional info I can share.
    • Like Like x 6
  9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Weather sealing doesn't require internal zooming, but logically speaking, it sure seems like a better way of sealing the lens. None of the weather sealed 4/3 lenses from Oly were internal focusing lenses (if I recall correctly).
  10. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    I wonder if by releasing a (potentially) weather-sealed lens, Panasonic is acknowledging that they'll be releasing a weather-sealed body soon????

• Like Like x 1
  11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Since both the Panasonic 12-35mm lens and Olympus E-M5 have been out for a while now, I'm curious to know if anyone has been brave enough to test the additional sealing properties of this lens. Could I use it in the rain (light rain, anyway) as I have with the M Zuiko 12-50mm? Or is the sealing merely better than the average lens?
  13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011

And now, from the Olympus OM-D website:

14. macboy001

macboy001 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2010
    Wairarapa, New Zealand
    I have used the E-M5 with the Panasonic 12-35mm in light rain with no ill effect. Admittedly not like I used to use my E-1 with the 50-200 in driving rain photographing my son's hockey, but I'm sure that will come.. :smile:
    • Like Like x 2
  15. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Andreas Fougner
    I have used my E-M5 and P12-35 in heavy rain and it was just fine.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Ive shot with this lens under heavy new zealand rain (if that means soemthing) and no problem at all! Best mid range zoom withing our format yet!
    • Like Like x 2
  17. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Splash and dust protection is all Olympus have ever claimed for their sealed cameras and lenses. I know from experience with my E-3/14-54mm combination that it is pretty much bomb proof (well, sea water proof anyway). I haven't tested my OM-D (haven't got an adapter for the 14-54mm) but I get the impression that it might not be sealed to as high a standard as the E-3. Having said that, I've been out shooting in torrential rain with a friend using his OM-D and 12-50mm, which suffered no ill effects.
    • Like Like x 1