Reali life experience and thoughts on Oly 45 +60mm VS Pan Lumix 35-100mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by HA_DA_JA, Nov 1, 2013.

1. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    Well we bought the Lumix GH3 and I have thought that I would try my hand at better photos. I bought the Olympus 45mm and in the process of getting a Olympus 60mm for portraits. I found that I needed a wider lens so I also waiting for the Sigma 19mm to arrive. I also own the 14-45mm Lumix after buying the Lumix 14-42mm which I no longer need. Both the 45/60mm lenses come in under the cost of a Lumix 35-100mm. But I am thinking that maybe I should have saved up for the 35-100mm and got that without getting the other 45/60mm lenses. Are the results of the 45/60 going to be the same with the 35-100mm? I also have a lumix 45-150mm I bought so I have the extra reach.
    I think I may have rushed into getting too many lenses too quickly.
    How have people found the Lumix 35-100 against the Oly 45/60mm combo?
    My wife really needs the macro ability of the Oly 60mm to take close up shots of digital scrapbooking components and textures of different products. I also find myself using macro a lot as I am starting to engage in product photography.
    I have read some people have been using the Olympus 75mm as Macro lens but I am thinking that the 60mm would be better suited for this. Am I Also wrong about this?
    Should I be looking at the Olympus 75mm rather then the 60mm?
    I have no problems using a tripod for a lot of my shots so the I.O.S. benefits of the Lumix lenses mean little for me at the moment, but maybe that is because I lack experience.
    I know that this thread has covered a lot of ground but your thoughts would be appreciated?
    And in finishing, is it weird that I took this picture of Barbie and quite like it??
  2. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    For what it's worth.....
    The Oly 60 is an excellent all around lens, and the macro is super. The 45 1.8 is also quite good. The 75 1.8 is (to me anyway) is a "benchmark" lens. The Panasonic 35-100 is also right there. The common thread of all these lenses has never changed in relation to photography. Good glass is always the best option. Good glass requires less post processing and always crops well. Photos are pretty much always as sharp as you need them. The biggest fault I can see with my own samples is, well, myself. If the image is in focus you can crop the heck out of it and you will still have acceptable quality.
    The 45 is very nice and the low cost is a bonus. Beyond that, it would seem that you have good taste in lenses and you are going to have good photos. Regardless of speed and aperture settings (within reason).
    The Barbie thing? I gotta let that pass, but if used the macro I would be able to see if there was texture on her teeth......
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    You don't need the 75 for product photography. The 60 is more than capable and the 75 doesn't focus that close...yes you could crop them, but the 60 is honestly just as good IMO. I think you answered your own questions already. If you wife needs macro, then you don't really need to swap it for the 35-100. All the lenses are great, but seems you have what you need.
  4. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    Thanks for the replies. I guess with a lot of things in life you just want a peace of kind with the decisions you are making. As I only have a part time job and my wife picks up what work she can over the year , wasting money on hobbies is not an essential expenditure at the moment in our current lifestyle. We have been blessed that we have made good decisions over the last few years so we can actually live a more relaxed lifestyle and not a rat race like life that some of our friends are constantly living. Wow that is a lot of constant pressure to be under.
    Any ways I think we are heading down the right path with lens purchases and we will continue down there and see what it brings.

As to the Barbie thing, I took that with our old GH1. Funny that the camera is only 3 years old and it is considered old. The lens was the standard 14-140mm Lumix., I liked the comment of you should be able to see the teeth more clEarly with a macro lens. I will be looking forward to seeing that soon.
    Thanks for chiming in.
    Cheers from down under
  5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    60 macro seems like a definite yes given your use case scenarios. Given that, I'd say put the 35-100 on the back burner unless you really really need the versatility (and range @ faster than your 40-150). The 45/1.8 is awesome, I love mine (just wish it felt better built :)). And the sig 19 will fill your wider needs. 19+45 is a great combo IMO if you're comfortable w/ primes. The 60 may feel a little close to 45, but it sounds like you'll really put the macro side of it to use.