Shootout Real-Life Ultimate Fisheye Comparison (Rokinon 7.5mm vs. Olympus 9mm BCL)

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
I'm with Janneman...even though I've had a ton of bodies and upwards of 100 lenses for DSLRs, I've never had a FE, because I didn't think I'd use it. Had I had an option (ie: BCL FE) when I bought my Samyang, I may have gone the cheaper route...I'm glad I didn't. The FE lens has gone from "I might use it now and again to mess around" to "I won't leave home without it."

silver92b

Mu-43 All-Pro
I posted a thread comparing the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye to the Oly 9-18mm wide angle zoom here. The FE has proven to be a very nice landscape lens for the great outdoors....

yehuda

Mu-43 Veteran
Short update: yesterday I was in an outdoor family gathering and had the 12-32 and 9mm bcl with me.
The 9mm was used for several photos and I was quite happy with the results. Sure - the IQ was lower than the rokinon and the focus control is not as refined (if the object is several meters away I use the middle focus setting and it's not 100 percent what I actually need but is the closest setting I can use), but the results are just fine.
The image isn't as warped as the rokinons (due to 140 degree fov instead of 180 which can be an advantage if you don't want to defish in pp) and the lens is so small that I just had it in the pocket the whole time.
In short - am happy I bought it!

Sent from my W200 using Mu-43 mobile app

DaveInPA

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
I have both lenses but haven't done a side by side comparison yet.

What I love about the BCL fisheye is that you think nothing of putting in your bag. I had it with me when I took my daughter to a rock climbing birthday party.

She volunteered to climb the highest wall in the area the kids had access to and she fired right up it. I had my 12-40mm lens on the camera...but it wasn't quite wide enough given how narrow the room was. I put the BCL lens on and took some shots and was really happy with what I got...especially considering it was indoors with such a slow lens.

Here is one of the shots:

13972817845_b7835ce792_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think its definitely a lens worth having, even if you have the Rokinon.

yehuda

Mu-43 Veteran
I have both lenses but haven't done a side by side comparison yet.

What I love about the BCL fisheye is that you think nothing of putting in your bag. I had it with me when I took my daughter to a rock climbing birthday party.

She volunteered to climb the highest wall in the area the kids had access to and she fired right up it. I had my 12-40mm lens on the camera...but it wasn't quite wide enough given how narrow the room was. I put the BCL lens on and took some shots and was really happy with what I got...especially considering it was indoors with such a slow lens.

Here is one of the shots:

13972817845_b7835ce792_c.jpg

I think its definitely a lens worth having, even if you have the Rokinon.

Very true.

After shooting high and low in the end I take my 12-32 and 9mm bcl fe everywhere I go and on occasion have my 17mm f1.8 as well, whilemy 12-35 f2.8 and rokinon fisheye get very little use (shooting family events with the f2.8 etc., or specifically fish eyed shots esp. in low lit settings) .

I am thinking of getting rid of the 2 more professional lenses as I hate hoarding stuff that isn't used much.

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
Short update: yesterday I was in an outdoor family gathering and had the 12-32 and 9mm bcl with me...

And that's the key - the BCL tends to be 'with me' while the Rokinon sits home unless I know that it will be required. (There's a shot of a local tourist site that's on my "to be taken" list that requires the Rokinon and a tripod...and I've not taken it because I'll have to schlep the Rokinon and a tripod :biggrin:. One of these days I'll gather up the energy to go after that shot...).

The image quality of the BCL isn't terrific - but the fun factor is right up there. I have the 15mm BCL as well and while it hasn't taken any "memorable" photos it does make me smile every time I mount it on the camera.

For me there's room for both in my kit - but the Rokinon will see less "mount time" than the BCL simply because of it's mass.

Thanks VERY much for posting the samples, Yehuda.

Regards,

Jim

AlekNor

New to Mu-43
Nothing nerdy here (and not time consuming either, I have created a function to create all the crops side by side a while ago).
Just thought this will help people decide given their subjective view on what's acceptable for them.

Just want to say that the blur in the corners of your picture is due to out of focus it seems, the lens is actually surprisingly sharp. If you test with both infinity and the standard focus testing you will see big difference in sharpness in the corners, the far away and the close view . I heard someone have tried to fix this by having the focus knob between infinity and the "standard" focus setting.

edit: Can see u figured it out yourself in one of the posts over.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20897

I can always appreciate a comparison when someone has the time to share.

I have the 9mm Oly and used to have the Rokinon 8mm in Nikon mount.

As others have said, the body cap lens is something you can always have with you. For me, I use it rarely enough that the quality of the Oly is sufficient.

Last edited by a moderator:

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The image quality of the BCL isn't terrific - but the fun factor is right up there. I have the 15mm BCL as well and while it hasn't taken any "memorable" photos it does make me smile every time I mount it on the camera.

I'd actually be interested in seeing some comparisons between the 15 BCL and the 9 BCL. If you're throwing a wide angle in your bag, which will it be? I use my 15 quite a bit when I want the camera to be pocketable (GM1). A lot of those shots end up being cropped to and I use only the [very] sharp center.

I agree about the 15 being a lot of fun. I, however, HAVE gotten a lot of memorable photos with it.

It seems that mine is NOT focused to infinity in the little notch so I have to hold it while shooting. I should pick up another one some time. :(

smartiepants

Mu-43 Veteran
resurrecting an old thread, I have the 9mm bodycap len and have a lot of fun with it and even Mrs Smartie says a day outwith a camera is not complete until I have got the "fish eye" out, I have ordered the Samyang 7.5mm on a whim this morning so will be itching to see results

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Several years ago B&H had the Rokinon on sale for $175 at Christmas, so I found it in my stocking. I also have the 9-18 bought here for $325. I consider both indispensable. The defished Rokinon is very sharp and really wide. The 9-18 is my "normal" zoom in my travel kit (mine is pretty sharp). I might pickup a used Pany 7-14 or the Oly PRO, but for the last 3 years these lenses have done all I needed. If I had to choose between the two, I don't know which I'd choose, but the defished Rokinon has the optics of a fine lens if you ask me, the Oly just slightly less but still very good.

Last edited:

smartiepants

Mu-43 Veteran
I have a 9-18 I am pleased with it so I hold high Hope's for the 7.5mm, I also have a second hand 12-40 pro lens coming as well so will have plenty to play with

The BCL is a specialty lens - small enough to keep in your bag permanently and great for street shooting. Another option is one of those cheap (<$70) fisheye lenses - 8mm f3.8 - there is a thread on the forum.

I love my Oly 9-18mm. Quite compact and takes great photos, but it is more expensive than the BCL or the Rokinon.

Holgatron

New to Mu-43
I've managed to get both the 15mm and the 9mm bcl's new for half their retail price. At this outlay I think they are well worth it. The whole reason I shoot micro four thirds is size/portability. Both lenses easily fit in a small pocket on the outside of my smallest camera bag and are always with me. This photo was taken with the 15mm, the softness of these lenses gives an interesting glow on long exposures.
IMG_20190814_234913_488.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom