1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ready to Pull the Trigger on a Few EP3 Accessories......

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by kundalini, Sep 15, 2011.

1. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    But what am I forgetting that you think are essentials?

VF-3 viewfinder - I miss having a viewfinder

Wasabi 2x Battery Kit with car charger

58-62mm Step-Up Ring - so I can use my B+W filters at least on the 40-150mm lens. Can't find one for the 37mm thread.

Rainbow Imaging Hoods for 14-42mm and 40-150mm lens - I like having hoods

OP/Tech Wrist Strap - I could tell you which one, but would then have to kill you. Although I have used my Black Rapids strap on the Oly, I can think at times a wrist strap would be more than adaquate.

I've got enough memory and a bag. Native lenses are still being researched. I would like an adapter for my Nikkor lenses and I think Rainbow Imaging has a reasonable one that will work..... I think. I'm still unsure bout this.

So any ideas to spend more $$$? Cheers.

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think you need an E-PM1 as an accessory for your E-P3.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I am using OP/Tech wrist strap and shoulder strap. It's convinient because the connectors are the same and they are quick release. Although they are somewhat bulky for m43. I think they were designed for SLR. Any suggestion for a small shoulder strap which can easily be detached w/no traces? (I hate leaving connectors on)

4. mobelby

mobelby Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm in the same boat as you and want to make sure my EP-3 is very well used and does not become the proverbial white elephant.

What I'll get is:

Streamline 100 bag to cart the m43 kit around, inside my normal daypack
    Luma Loopit as the strap/sling
    Wasabi BLS5 batteries from Blue Nook
    Lens cap keepers of some variety
    A prime pancake - I'll keep debating with myself but at this stage I'll keep the MSC kit zoom and get THE m43 lens - i.e. the Panasonic Lumix 20mm F1.7.
    What I don't know is whether to keep the kit zoom longer term or swap it out for one more versatile zoom such as the 14-150 or just wait till new third party lenses arrive next year

5. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have been having good luck with the Wasabi charger and batteries from Blue Nook.

The accessory I am now looking for is a remote. I was originally looking for something for HDRs, but started to think it would also be fun to try time lapse. I've been debating whether to go wired or splurge for a wireless version.

6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    What about an extra grip? How do you like the one that came with the camera--is it too small? I've been eyeing that large one (in the event that I ever buy an E-P3!).

7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    +1

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol... a compact body for when you don't want to lug that E-P3 everywhere with you? :D

I think I should pick up a Pentax Q, so that I can be like those guys who carry a Full Frame and a Micro Four-Thirds camera. Except my compact system will fit on a keychain, and my full-sized system will fit in a waist bag. :D

9. mobelby

mobelby Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    What wireless remote ?

Thought it had to be wired via the USB ??

10. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA

You are correct, but some 3rd parties are able to have a small module that is connected to the camera via cable, possibly sitting in the hotshot, that has a wireless transmitter (usually RF, 2.4 GHz). You then have a wireless handheld remote.

It looks like the decent wired remotes (incl. time lapse functionality) are around $30, while the wireless are $30-50 more.

11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Get the VF-2 rather than the VF-3. I've compared them side by side and the VF-2 gives a much bigger and clearer view.

Regarding the 37mm stepping ring, you could do an interim step from 37 - 58, then 58 - 62 which you are planning to buy anyway. osCommerce

12. mobelby

mobelby Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks.

Not at the stage of getting remotes but will get one a cheap wired one in a couple of months with some form of gorilla pod.

However, I see myself as more of a street and landscape photographer at the moment and I have to learn how to make the most oft Camera first

13. JonathanS

JonathanS Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2010
    EVF

Ditto on the VF2 over the VF3

14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    -1 for this.
    Lol.

Just tried them both at precision camera here in Austin. Couldn't tell the diff enuf to justify any +$ and -lock.

I was thinking it was going to be a huge difference from people's reports on them both. It wasn't. Not to ME at least. I even alternated them back n forth like five times, and did fast panning refresh testing.

Shrug

My evf-fu is weak I guess :D

The store guy did put them both to a nice "slip off" test for me after mentioning my fear of it with the vf2. Which consisted of putting them on and trying to flick them off repeatedly with his finger. (to see how loose they fit)

A NEW one(vf2) didn't seem to wanna slip at all. But I'd imagine over time it would loosen up to the dreaded "omg where'd my vf2 go?!"

Tho if anyone is looking for a vf2, precision had a used one for $199.99.
    As well I think I saw one in the for sale section here last night.

I ended up with neither for now. Must save for 45 first!:D

15. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    It's funny how two different photographers can have such different opinions and experiences of the same peice of kit. Just shows you should never take anyone's word for it, but try the item for yourself - it's how you perceive it that matters. :smile:

16. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    EXACTLY! Id def say go try both before purchasing. I was set on a vf2 from bh once i was ready to purchase. But now I'll be all about the vf3

17. mobelby

mobelby Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    UPDATE
    - couldn't get the Lowepro Streamline in black so went for the Crumpler Two Million Dollar Home in Beech - love it
    - also have the 20mm F1.7. Learning to use it at the moment. It is great for video using SF mode contrary to other reports on the web
    - also went for a tripod package on onecall.com - a Trek Tech Pro Go convertible monopod plus tabletop tripod (T-pod) and another clamp for $199. I wanted a tripod to take anywhere and a convertible monopod seemed the best approach for me

18. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    VF-2 vs VF-3.. no contest.. I have both.. VF-2 way brighter on EP3 and EPL3... no question.. I think Olympus figured they were out of market price... with price of VF-2 and inserted VF-3 as a lower priced alternative.. check the specs.. VF-2 is the way to go.. just my 2 cents.. LOL.. WANNA BUY A VF-3?