Re Tripod Mount Possition in New Cameras

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by retiredfromlife, Oct 1, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    I notice a lot of new Mu43 cameras have the tripod mounting thread insert at the front of the body. First saw it on the Pen F, them EMI Mk11 pictures, and just saw the same on the Panasonic G80. I wonder if a lot of people use quick release plates as I would have thought this new position would be a bad decision for the use of quick release plates.

I like to use quick release plates so to me this trend seems odd, but am I missing something obvious since the new EM1 MK11 is supposed to be aimed at Pro users.

I do notice a few of the wedding photographers around Sydney Harbour use quick plates for quick on / off tripods. But there must be a reason to move the hole from the centre of the body to the front.

2. hillwalkinggirl

hillwalkinggirl Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    I have just tested Manfrotto QR plate on my GX80 which has the tripod mounting thread at front of body and no problem at all. Also QR plate clears the battery/ card door so no need to remove it when taking card out or changing battery.
  3. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    I presume the hole position works as it must have been tested but aesthetically I think I like the plates in the centre of the body.

I like the way my QR plates are in the centre and only just stick out both sides equally. I use Manfrotto RC2 mounting system. (I think 200PL plates?)

I think if I used these plates with the 12-40 pro, the plates would come very close to touching the lens if used on a camera with the hole at the front of the body. I have seen a few posts where people have problems with QR plates and the 12-40 pro. So I wonder why the move from the centre of the body to the front?
  4. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    I've only seen a picture of the Pen F tripod mount and I'm not sure if this is the reasoning but personally that is where I'd want it for the purpose of stitching together pictures. It's not as good as using a pano head but centred and closer to the mount helps, especially in landscape orientation.
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Manufactures try to keep the size of the µ4/3 cameras small, bodies are crammed full of bits and pieces and the tripod socket intrudes into that space. The tripod socket winds up where it fits. Also, these days very few people use tripods and even fewer pros use µ4/3 cameras.
    FWIW, I put a Really Right Stuff grip on my E-M1 for extra gripping purchase and it is machined to fit Arca-Swiss type tripod heads. The E-M1 is particularly good for tripod use, because the card door is on the side of the body and can be removed without taking the camera off the tripod or removing the QR plate.
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010

But I'll give you a couple of other things to think about:
    • When doing some shutter shock testing with my GX7s I discovered that the tripod socket is not solidly connected to the camera chassis/aka lens mounting flange. There is flex. Further, the socket sits a few thousands of an inch proud of the camera bottom, so no amount of screw tightening can eliminate the flex. Fortunately I have a precision milling machne in my shop, so I simply cut a 0.010" relief in my Arca plate. Now the plate tightens against the base of the camera, leaving the tripod socket hanging loose into the 0.010" pit. Moral: Do not trust the tripod socket, regardless of its location. Test, test, test.
    • Rubber pads, beloved of the cheap Arca plate manufacturers are exactly what you don't want. They introduce compliance at a point where you'd actually prefer the two pieces to be solidly welded together. The higher-end and savvier plate manufactures do not have these pads, and it is not to save costs. Moral: Do not use plates that include rubber padding between the plate and the camera bottom. Be sure you have a solid metal-to-metal connection.
  7. excman

excman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Odsherred, Denmark,
    An optimal placement of the mounting hole for tripod must be where the camera is in the best balance. That means a location throughout the hole equipment's balance point. Since the lenses, as required for tripod, often weigh more than the house, the optimal location is in the center line of the lens. How it is located in GX 7th
    Compromises must be made as the Quick release plate should not cover for other functions. Finally, there may be features inside the housing that requires Compromises.
  8. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Even worse that the tripod socket being proud, one of our cheap point and shoot cameras had a recessed screw socket, so tightening it down popped it out and made it loose. With regard to cheap tripod heads and or plates it is worth checking the thread length, as I saw a forum thread awhile ago where someone screwed their mount in and cracked the bottom of the camera because the thread was too long. I now have a test plate where I screw on all tripod mounts to check how far the screw goes in, as it is hard to measure because of the rubber on them sometimes compresses.

• Useful Useful x 1