?? re the G1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Richard in Idaho, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Richard in Idaho

Richard in Idaho New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2010
    I have been unable to find anyone around here that sells the Panasonic MFT.

When looking at the size of the G1 and GF1 the G1 is about 1/2" larger both in height and depth than the GF1. But my question is how much difference is there with a lens installed. From the pics it appears the the grip would offset most of the 20/1.7.
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I chose the G1 as I knew that I would need the EVF. Add
    it to the GF1 and it's close to the same height. Add a lens
    and it's close to the same depth. I had an LX3 and loved
    the form factor and the images but can't stand shooting
    from an LCD on the back.
  3. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    if all else were equal...

if you like a grip on your cameras then the g1 is for you.
  4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi Richrd, just get the cameras in your hands. G1: hi-res EVF (great in low light), articulated screen, no video. GF1: no EVF (option), video, no articulated screen.
    In Holland we got 100 euro cash back for the G1. Body plus 14-45 sells for only 375 euro.

Enjoy your weekend.
    Kind regards, Herman
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, most of the difference in thickness is gone after you add a lens. The G1 remains a bit thicker due to the articulated LCD and evf, plus it's taller. Overall, there is a noticeable difference in size/heft for most people, but to me the difference isn't enough to have me give up on the evf and articulated LCD.
  6. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Here a pic side by side as you can see the G1 is only slightly bigger than the GF1

sorry about image quality my mobile isn't very good at pictures.

7. Richard in Idaho

Richard in Idaho New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. Not sure what to get, need to do more looking. No need to hurry :smile:
  8. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

For me choosing a G1 over a GF1 was easy: at my age, I have 20/20 vision after laser eye surgery, but I can't see close up - so I can't focus on a 3" LCD screen held a foot or two away. I need the EVF - with its built-in diopter adjustment.
  9. DennisC

DennisC Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    I have both the G1 and G1-F and both are fine cameras but the GF-1 body is better and you get video.

The G1 is covered by a soft-feel plastic that wears away easily and in my experience I have found that the button markings also wear off quite quickly.
    You can fix the markings by covering with a clear matt lacquer but there's no quick fix to peeling plastic.

This has been discussed widely in other forums.
  10. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    handle each one locally if you can.

If you are OK with the LCD then you
    have a smaller package.

Do you want video? GH1, GF1
  11. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

Agreed ;-) I was considering the GF1 but after handling one I found it uncomfortable and settled for the G1 because the grip really improved comfort in my opinion. Also I dont shoot video so its ok.

There's not really too much of a difference in size between the GF1 and G1, but if you really want the GF1 because its smaller, I would really consider the olympuses, I found the E-p1 really comfortable to hold, strangely more comfortable that the G1 which has a larger grip, maybe i have weird hands? ...:rolleyes:
  12. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    There isn't much difference in size - but a big difference in shape - you really need to hold both to decide which you prefer.

I love the G1's EVF, articulating screen and super sharp sensor... just be prepared to shoot raw or dynamic B&W jpeg for best results. Capture One is the best raw converter available for the Panasonic G1 imho.

• Like Like x 1