Re-Returning to m43

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jeffryscott, Aug 4, 2013.

1. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    So, I played with Pentax. It is really nice but I came to miss my Olympus and m43. While the K5II is very small by APS standards, as were the lenses (16-50 and 50-135 (both brilliant optically), I just really wanted to get back into a smaller kit.

So today I've purchased a 17 1.8, 45 1.8 and OM-D with grip and 14-42 zoom.

I'm really looking forward to the 17 and I missed the 45. I hope someday to get the 75 and the 12, but money isn't available for those right now. Will add a longer zoom soon, just need to decide which one.

I'm re-returning because I've been here since the EP-1. I bought an EP-1 shortly after it was introduced, but lack of a viewfinder really bugged me. A short time later as I was in the process of leaving the newspaper business I invested in an EP2 with VF2 and had the Pany 7-14, 20 and 45 lenses. Used those everyday for six months or so for the newspaper, carrying the heavy as hell Canon 1d MkIIn and 70-200 for long stuff. And happily used it after I started a new career.

I went full frame with a 5d after that for a while, but when the OM-D was introduced I jumped on that. An OM-1n was my first professional system at my first newspaper. I loved photography again and took the small kit with me everywhere. Sold it for financial reasons and when I was able I planned to get another, but had to try the Pentax. It is a beautiful camera and lenses, but just not quite my style, so here I am again.

Now to wait for USPS ....
  2. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Welcome back Jeffry! I can totally relate to your story and can feel your pain -- as can my back! -- literally... (I carried pro Nikons throughout my 20+ year career...). Although i still keep a couple full-frame DSLRs around (and a Phase One back for my Hassy's), the OM-D is my absolute favorite camera to shoot with. PERIOD! Oh, and my back, thanks me. :happy-084:
  3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Welcome Back Jeffry! Good to know the story behind the purchase :smile:
  4. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Thanks! I've always migrated toward small and light. Used Leica M and Contax G for years.

And after 25 years of lugging Nikons and Canons around for newspapers, my back complains every single day. My chiropractor loves me:smile:
  5. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I loved the Contax G system and still have a Lieca M kit that's not getting any use... Like my GX1 bodies more than the Contax, similar size but do so much more.

Glad you are back.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Welcome back, Jeffry!
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome back! :cool:
  9. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    I think I'm the first re-returner to that thread ... I'd posted there upon my original return.

Thanks all, anxiously awaiting my new gear.

The Pentax, if you are going APS is amazing (unless you need fast, continuous AF, then you really need to stick with Canon or Nikon).