Re-purchasing Olympus m.Zuiko 45 1.8 a third time!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ramirez, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I have had two Oly 45:s, traded them in two times when I been updating my camera gear.

When I´m looking through my photo libraries I must say that all the photos taken with the Oly 45 are stunning. Even though I have a Nikon full frame camera, the Oly 45 photos really shines.

I only have a Nikkor 50 f1.8 (plus a wide-angle- and a telezoom) for my D610; so I don´t have a "true" portrait lens for my Nikon system.

The portrait lenses are expensive for the Nikon system; I just ordered a lightly used m.zuiko 45 with hood and UV-filter for 145€ from a photo company that specializes in used photography gear.

You can't beat what you get in the m.zuiko 45 fro the price in other systems!

Let´s hope that i keep this 45!

2. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Get the 75 and be done with it!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    As a former owner of both, I think the 75 is certainly better, but the 45 more versatile. The 45 gets disparaged a bit because it is cheap, I suppose, but it is a great lens. I'm making do with 25 and 60, instead of 17/45/75, and while I don't need 45 in between there I imagine I will still buy another one at some point.

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    lol. I just did a portrait comparison using most of my lenses. We tend to take the 45 for granted and forget about it, but it always performs. Its pictures are beautiful, its focus reliable. It's nice to rediscover.

The 45 and the 50-200 took the most beautiful portraits of the lenses in my collection.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I picked up a Nocticron 42.5/1.2 a few months back but returned it after comparisons against the 45. Sure the Noc is better, but except on pixel peeping a/b comparisons, the 45 is plenty good enough.

6. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Yep, my wife isn't into photography and doesn't understand why I want more than one lens, but she was amazed by my first test shots with the 45. I wont be selling mine any time soon.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    There have been a LOT of lenses I have purchased twice over the years. Trying to remember which ones I've purchased 3 times. :hmmm:

Maybe the 70-200 for Nikon; though if you include 80-200s, vI/vII, FX/DX eq, and brands it would be 8 or 9 :coco::wtf::redface:. Nothing else even comes close.

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you want a good portrait lens for Nikon FX, then I would recommend finding a used Tamron 90mm f/2.8. The older one with the aperture ring. You can find it used for around or under $300. I use it a ton. You can get as close as you want, renders sharp, nice background blur. MF clutch on it like the Oly 12/17 primes.

9. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I've had three O45. four pl25. four P20 and four P14 :)... but I did the same research last time I rebought o45. Its a "photo keeper making lens"

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    OK, I just don't really understand this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you have a Nikon kit the 85mm 1.8 G is a good lens, and during rebate season cost $399.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I always liked the old AF-D versions of the 85. I've owned both the 1.4 and 1.8.

13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Just curious... Is the sample variation on the 14 as big as people say?

14. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Thanks for your suggestions :)
    I wouldn't mind the m.zuiko 75 for m4/3 and I wouldn't mind the 85 for Nikon either.
    But I just wanted a dirt cheap lens that is really good, and the 45 fits the bill as I found this lens in mint condition with hood and all :)

I have a small part time photo/video/hybrid business so I´ve had some photo sessions like family, for videography many concerts (this month I have 4 concerts to cover).
    One thing that has happened to me a lot is that customers seems to pick the photos I´ve taken with my Panny GH4 over the Nikon D610 ones.
    That happened to me for instance when I took some album cover photographs for a band; they choose the Panny photos before the D610.
    Maybe the framing was better or maybe I am still more used to smaller sensors as I haven't been shooting full frame for a long time...
    I don't know... But I sometimes like my m4/3 photos better than the full frame ones.
    I can't explain this, maybe user error with full frame - or there is some m4/3 magic :)
    In some situations m4/3:s beat full frame, at least for me...

So I think the m.zuiko 45 is going to be a nice lens to have again :)

Btw: To explain why I´ve traded away the m.zuiko 45 twice;
    I´ve always been curious about other lenses and systems, so the grass has been greener on the neighbors lawn..
    But always when I am going through my photo libraries; guess which photos sticks out... the Oly 45 ones.
    Hopefully I remember this now, so I won´t trade away my third O45.

15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've never had an issue sample variation.

16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    How many have you had? Mine is decentered and visibly softer of the left (although likely still "in spec") so I wonder if its worth trying to pick up another copy. SLRGear tested it, and their copy is slightly decentered as well, but mine is worse for sure (http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1389/cat/68). I love the small size, but the soft left side irks me.

17. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I thought it was 2, but I'm trying to remember if it was actually 2 or 3.

18. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Good to know that you had multiple copies without obvious variation. Maybe I should just pick up a second and see if I just had a bad one.

19. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    never had a bad copy... love it

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Yep, I love the O45, but that doesn't mean you can't have a good portrait prime on your Nikon as well!