1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

RE: Newer Oly 14-42 IIR kit lenses....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by benherrmann, Jan 4, 2013.

1. benherrmann

benherrmann New to Mu-43

Jan 4, 2013
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Bernd W. (Ben) Herrmann
    Hello all:

First time poster here, but I've been with both the 4/3 and micro 4/3 communities from the start. Did most of my posting on DPReview and 43 Photo.

I'm curious here in that I just picked up a E-PL5 and of course, it comes with the kit 14-42 IIR lens. Now, based on my past experiences with this type of lens (I had the original 14-42 when I first purchased my EP-2 several years ago), my copy of that lens was superb. I'm curious now to hear what you think about this new kit lens.

I also have the wonderful (at least my copy is great) Panny 14-45 OIS lens on my GF-1, which has served me well.

I guess I'm wanting to know your input regarding this new 14-42 II R kit lens for those of you have experienced both the bad and the good with it.

Thanks in advance......

2. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I got the kit lens because it is as close to free as possible if purchased with the camera. I was planning on putting it away as soon as I got some good primes.

I am not a pixel peeper, but I know good images. I have taken some very sharp pictures with this lens. It will be used whenever appropriate. Slower than I like, but it is a zoom.

P.

3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I live the 14-42II, and if I absolutely am only raking one lens for the day that's the one I pick. Between personal preference and the limits of quality control though, take yours out and see what you think about your lens.

4. DPitts

DPitts Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh NC
    Doug Pitts
    ...Ben...I've been through this, and finally found a used 14-45 like you have...it beats all the 14-42 iterations hands down. I also have the 45 1.8 Oly (sharp!), panny 20 (sharp!), panny 14 (sharp!)...and an adapted Leica Summicron R 50 (sharp!). The OMD sensor shines with good glass. :)

5. Orientator

Orientator Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2010
    Hi!

I also have the 14-42 II (the R is only exterior...) and had the Oly 14-42 I before. From my point of view the II version beats the first one in everything except the close focus capability. The new version shows more or less the same sharpness with much better focus speed and a better build quality (esp. the zoom ring moves much smoother).

I also have the 20 and the Oly 45 in use. They are both better but when a zoom is necessary for spontaneous shots I don't hesitate to take the 14-42 II. It's definitely sharp enough throughout the whole range for A3 printouts.

Stefan

6. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    Like my 14-42 II

I like my 14-42 II that came with my E-PL5. Not having any mft gear when I bought my E-PL5, it was a no-brainer for $50. I find my copy quite sharp, it's light, and better built than I was expecting. My only complaint is that it is slow, and the aperture shifts from f3.5 to f6.3 depending upon the zoom. But it if it was faster and constant aperture, it wouldn't be $50 in a kit. For low light, I go to my Pentax SCM 50mm f1.7, or the Pentax 35mm f2.8 via a Fotodiox adapter. Both lenses (left over from my Pentax ME Super days in the 80's) are very sharp - IF I remember to focus them!

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I've had three kit zooms ;
    Black plastic-mount 14-42 with e-pL1 which tested optically quite good all-round, very similar to the newer silver 14-42R that you're asking about.
    My Lumix 14-45 is noticeably sharper in the edges and corners.

I've never had a 'bad' m4/3rds lens.