Re: GF1 video Hack advice wanted

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Boyzo, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Anyone done the Video Hack
    I did the hack on my GF1 with recommended settings but the video is still
    Also I see no video settings in the menus for HD the menus just look the same
  2. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    So you want it to be 1080? If so, the quality settings are not enough. You must also change the resolution settings for MJPG.

I have not noticed a lot of improvement with this upscaled resolution. I guess that the sensor can't give true fullHD.

I just up the bit rate, to get more detail in the 720. Then if I want, I can interpolate when rendering to fullHD. This gives quite nice looking 1080.

Of course now I use the GH1. But mainly for the articulated screen :)
  3. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    I played around with this hack a while ago, and I agree, I don't think the sensor is capable of really doing 1080p.
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    To be clear, obviously the sensor can do 1080 - it has 3000 lines of resolution. The processor can't handle that much data.

In the end, the result is the same, you're not going to get "real" 1080 out of the camera. That said, I can't see the difference on my TV between 720p and 1080p - probably most of my samples are higher bit rate 720 vs lower bit rate 1080 (to keep the size similar)
  5. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Video and stills are handled very differently by the sensor and the image processor. In any case there is a limitation somewhere that does not allow the GF1 to achieve video at 1080p. If it was a raw processing power limitation I would imagine the processor could do real 1080p at a lower bit rate but this doesn't seem to work either.

Technically I think it is not the sensor itself as the GF2 supposedly has the same sensor yet it can do 1080p. Although there could still be something different in the sensor that limits video.

I noticed that with a larger TV screen (especially when sitting close) the 1080p is a big improvement.
  6. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks for the replies

What I was wondering is how do you know you have improved the video

Does the HACK add anything to the menu

Seems a Higher Bitrate 720P is the best option

On my 54" Panasonic the standard GF1 720p is not bad really