1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Re-designed grip on G3 - what's it like?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by itamarst, Jul 17, 2011.

1. itamarst

itamarst New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2011
    How comfortable is the G3? So far I've been unable to try it, and since I've found holding smaller cameras (e.g. e-p1) with less of a grip to be less comfortable, I'm wondering what the G3 is like. A comparison to the G2 would also be useful.

Thanks!

2. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

G1 on right.. As G2

I find it OK. It has enough to hold it with one hand and a wrist strap as a safty option... It still allows about 1/2 your fingers to wrap around from the inside edge around the outside edge.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Looks like an E-PL2 PEN grip.

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    The way the light falls on the G1 shutter release makes it look like you've replaced it with an aftermarket wooden one ! Now that would be cool :)

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I wonder why they made the G3 grip so small. Not much point in making it smaller than the lens makes the body. Put the 14 on it and make it that long. I know the Pens have less, but the Pens are stylish whereas the Gs are practical. Of course, I do wonder how I used all those 35 mm SLRs without a grip.:smile:

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I dunno about anyone else, but I actually like the idea of a smaller grip. the GH1 is awkward to hold to me. I am far more comfortable w/ my GF1. Now, I haven't seen a G3 in person, but from playing w/ EPL's in the store, I think I'll like it more.

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It's funny, for every person who doesn't like a specific type of grip, there's another person who does (it's too small.. it's too big!).

I think Olympus is onto something here with the removable/customizable grip on the E-P3. I'm surprised they didn't add that feature to the E-PL3/E-PM1 (well, not really surprised. More annoyed at their marketing for putting in lame feature tiering).

I would suggest to camera companies to add customizable grips to all their cameras. It's really a win-win scenario.

8. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    I don't mind the grip. (I'm coming from a GF1 and a G1.)

I'm not happy, however, with how my fingers hit the buttons with the new way that I hold it, particularly the fn1 button.

The video button can be switched on and off. It would be brilliant if it could be programmed. The video button is where I would want to see the fn1 button.

Perhaps I will get better with it with a little time.

Don't let these comments put you off. I love the camera and would not go back.

9. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    For the most part the camera "should" be held with the lens and body nestled in your left hand, which provides MOST of the stability and grip on the body. The right hand isn't really responsible for much of the gripping process, so the small grip shouldn't be an issue in the first place. Certainly enough for the finger tips to rest across for that bit of stability, but nothing more. I don't see it as an issue at all. It's NOT a DSLR full sized body anyway so how it's handled should be a tad different.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Hmmm. This is certainly true when using the EVF in DSLR fashion. OTOH, using the LCD for shooting makes this position less effective. Also, this body does have a touch and shoot touch screen function which almost requires you to hold it with the right hand. Did you see the video of Digital Rev TV review of the E-P3? Kai had to one hand the E-P3 to use the touch screen for shooting.

11. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Why? That's a great grip for when you are holding the camera out in front of you, looking at the LCD.

I don't have the G3 yet, so this is what I think, not know. However, if I'm using the touch screen to take pictures, I imagine that I'm holding the camera and lens in my left hand as dcisive described, and touching the screen with my free right hand. With a smaller/lighter lens, I could see holding it with my right and touching the screen with my left, but in those case, the G3 grip should be more than sufficient.

In general, I use the technique that dcisive describes with all but the smallest lenses.

12. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    I've found the grip makes the camera more difficult to get in and out of a bag (tends to snag), and also found the G1/G2/GH1 grips very uncomfortable to hold with my long-ish fingers. This was not a problem on larger DSLRs, nor was it a problem on the GF1 or E-PL1 (ended up buying an E-PL1).

13. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    The few times that I use the lcd, it was very comfortable resting in the left hand as dcisive describes. With the articulating screen swung out, it gives good balance to the "heavier" right side and makes using the lcd very easy to use whether at eye, chest or waist (or lower) level. Since I use my right hand only for the shutter and buttons/dial, grip size doesn't matter.

14. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    Fn1 too close to the cursor buttons

I usually use the EVF now, often using "focus assist" with my left hand. Becasue I keep my elbows in (for stability), I find that there's not enough distance between the cursor buttons and the fn1 button (set for AE&AF lock) -- sometimes pressing ISO button by accident.

Because pressing and holding the fn1 button isn't comfortable for me, I've set the AE&AF "lock" to "hold" as well. It works.

15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Very true. But the grip is most useful when the camera is not up to your eye. It's the action of picking the camera up and putting it down where a good grip is vital. That's when your new camera flies out of your hand and onto a concrete floor. I'd really like to see the option of a hand strap for these smaller cameras as personally that would add far more usability than any tiny grip you can stick on them.

OTOH. Camera without grips pack so much better and more easily into a bag. Take the lens and EVF off a pen and they pack into a positively tiny space. Take a G3 and as small as it is you can't pack it in nearly as neat a way as a pen or GF.

Gordon

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'll try that when my own G2 arrives. I naturally used my left hand for the "LCD poking" when I tried the G2 body at the store.

• Like Like x 1
  17. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Let us know what you find.

One thing: did the G2 have the 14-42mm kit lens? That lens is light enough to hold with the GF1 grip (or lack thereof), so I wouldn't be too surprised if your natural instinct was just to play with the touchscreen with your free hand. I imagine that there would be some lens weight where you'd want to switch the camera to your left hand. That switch point is probably higher on the G2 than the G3, but if both methods work, then it's not a really drawback.

I'm definitely more comfortable doing anything that require fine control with my right (dominant) hand, so I will default to the left cradle hold if I'm doing touch shooting.

18. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I handled a G3 just today in a local shop, and it felt very nice indeed when fitted with the kit lens..... probably the Panny I'd go for if I didn't have the E-PL2, but the Samsung NX11 that was sitting alongside it felt great; a pity about the rubbish EVF and the sensor needs work apparently.... some nice lenses on the way for it as well. The rumoured next iteration of it could well be spectacular.

19. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Since I'm a bagaholic I'll have no issues finding just the right sized bag for this combo. Several actually ;-) No worries.

20. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I use the Touch & Shoot like this:
    I nestle the camera in my left palm, and use my right index finger to "touch/shoot', it works quite well, and your left fingers can zoom the lens with not much effort. One of the best added features IMO. For Street use, flip out the LCD, activate the T/S function, tough the face of a person you [stalking] :tongue:, and they are in focus.