re a posting on Craigslist: "Athletic photographers needed"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by barry13, Nov 6, 2015.

1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Has anyone seen something like this before?
    (I tend to view most listings on CraigsList with suspicion.)

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    A whole $100.00 a night! After travel time & expenses, culling and editing, etc., you're working for $5.00/hr so you can call yourself a professional photographer. Assuming you have all the gear necessary for shooting sports in crappy light. What a deal!!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Geez, my thought exactly.
  4. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Heh. As a teenager I shot games for an area newspaper, rate was $3 per printed shot and 10 cents per mile of travel. Since we were a small single-a country school we almost always had to travel far to play other single-a schools, I usually made more in travel expenses.

If I was a teenager interested in sports photography this wouldn't be a bad way to get my feet wet.
  5. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Given the massive and persistent unemployment in the Inland Empire I'd treat any job offer there with suspicion. Especially one where you get paid only if they sell your photos.
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Thanks guys... I ended up getting an answer on the phone number listed in the ad... The person was rude and sounded like he was sleeping and/or under the influence, and he refused to talk to me.

7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    He spelled convenience wrong too. I see similar ads locally, that look more legitimate with the same crappy pay. No thanks. For that mater I see lots of jobs that pay $10/hr (not just photography related) that post wonder they are always hiring.