RC2 clamp on Arca-Swiss ballhead

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You could use a Manfrotto 323. It has a 3/8" thread in the centre but you could counter sink the top and screw it onto a ballhead that has a screw thread on it. Could also screw in a ARCA Swiss plate to the bottom but that would not be very good
https://www.manfrotto.com/au-en/quick-change-rectangular-plate-adapter-universal-threads-323/
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Or swap an ARCA Swiss and RC2 top plate on your tripods if you have both types

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's fairly easy. I don't have the Manfrottos specifically, but ball heads will typically either have a stud that the RC2 clamp will screw onto or they take a bolt down through the clamp and into the ball stem. In all cases that I have seen, the thread is the standard "large" tripod thread: 3/8" x 16tpi.

There are lots of Chinese RC2 copies on eBay these days and in my experience the quality is just fine. Interestingly, the way I tell the genuine from the Chinese when looking in my RC2 junk drawer is that the genuine ones have a Manfrotto logo on the fat round part of the lever and the copies are plain as in @retiredfromlife's picture. I checked and he lifted that picture from the Manfrotto site. So .. I dunno.

There is also at least one Chinese vendor on eBay who offers a "twofer" plate that can be used with A-S in one direction and RC2 in the other. I tried one and it worked fine but did not meet my needs at the time.

IMO the RC2 is the superior clamp, but the Arca diaspora has hundreds of options. So I have reluctantly standardized on Arca stuff using lever clamps like the Acratech lever. The key thing for me is that the Acratech lever locks and must be released. Others, like the RRS, don't lock, so it is possible for the camera to come loose accidentally. There are quite good, locking, Arca clamps also on eBay. They used to be about $50 but now are down IIRC to around $15. Quality is fine.

With a lever clamp in my experience you have to standardize on one manufacturer's plates. There are no official drawings extant AFIK and the plate manufacturers' dimensions vary widely enough that lever clamp plates might have to be adjusted between different manufacturers' plates. This pretty well defeats the speed advantage of the lever.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From what I have found, and looking at the 3 ballheads I have, the Arca-Swiss have a 'cutout' to prevent rotation of the clamp.

I have found an adapter for a Manfrotto ballhead that takes the standard set screw and adds the non-rotate connection so you can mount an Arca-Swiss clamp on it.

I have NOT found the reverse; how to mount an RC2 clamp on an Arca-Swiss ballhead that has the non-rotate cutout.

Thanks @retiredfromlife , I will give counter-sinking a try, but I have my doubts as I would STILL be connected on the 2 little strips rather than the entire surface .

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have not found the locating keys to be critical. They are nice to be sure. I just did some work with an Acratech "Ultimate" ball head and it does not have the keys. It has a 3//8-16 stud coming out of the ball stem.

IMO it is critical, though, to use Loctite when assembling. I use the basic "blue" because it is relatively easy to soften with a heat gun when an assembly must come apart again. Acratech used the more permanent "red" and it was a real bear to get the clamp off that ball stem. Do not even think about using "green."

@WaltP, if you can find a hobbyist with a small milling machine he could either slot the clamp to fit the keys on the ball stem or he could just machine the keys off the ball stem. IMO neither approach would cause any problems.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One thing you can do is replace your RC2 plates with a dual plate. Peak designs offers a dual RC2/arca plate for use with their Capture Clip (which uses Arca measurements). I recall when I was more actively following Peak Design, that there was some variation in RC2 sizes, and the dual plate did not work for a few tripods. And of course, there is variation in the Arca sizes as well.
I do use the dual-plate (or the earlier version) with a Manfroto tripod with RC2 plates.

I have to imagine there are clones nowadays for that.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
One thing you can do is replace your RC2 plates with a dual plate. Peak designs offers a dual RC2/arca plate for use with their Capture Clip (which uses Arca measurements). I recall when I was more actively following Peak Design, that there was some variation in RC2 sizes, and the dual plate did not work for a few tripods. And of course, there is variation in the Arca sizes as well.
I do use the dual-plate (or the earlier version) with a Manfroto tripod with RC2 plates.

How will that help me mount the RC2 clamp on the Arca ballhead? I must be missing a step. That is a camera plate, I need a clamp adapter (or another solution, like @oldracer above).

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If you are handy with a small 4" or 41/2" angle grinder with a cut off wheel you could put a groove in the 323 unit to take the anti rotation lugs. Plus when you attach it you could use some "quick metal" paste to take up any slack. Quick Metal [loc tite 660] helps take up slack when fitting worn components etc.

From having another look around it does not seem there is an easy solution. I got my 323 adaptors for small tabletop tripods, but on a bigger tripod you probably need an anti rotation solution of some sort.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you are handy with a small 4" or 41/2" angle grinder with a cut off wheel you could put a groove in the 323 unit to take the anti rotation lugs. Plus when you attach it you could use some "quick metal" paste to take up any slack. Quick Metal [loc tite 660] helps take up slack when fitting worn components etc.

From having another look around it does not seem there is an easy solution. I got my 323 adaptors for small tabletop tripods, but on a bigger tripod you probably need an anti rotation solution of some sort.
Understood. So I will stop the countersink idea and start looking for someone with a metal grinder.

It seems strange to me that the part would be available in one direction, but not the other. I can get an adapter to put an Arca clamp on an RC2 ballhead, but not one to put an RC2 clamp on an Arca ballhead.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
How will that help me mount the RC2 clamp on the Arca ballhead? I must be missing a step. That is a camera plate, I need a clamp adapter (or another solution, like @oldracer above).
I assumed you had a RC2 plate on the camera. Rather than putting something on the ballhead to use that existing plate, I was suggesting changing the plate on the camera so that it could be mounted in either a RC2 head or an ARCA head.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have the PD Dual plates on both of my cameras. So I can clip them into any of my Manfrotto tripods, monopods, tripods adapted with the RC2 capture heads. My PD clips on belt and rucksack straps, or other peoples Arca compatible tripods and devices. Yes I have about 5 spare RC2 plates. Some lenses were too fat to mount on a Manfrotto tripod with the RC2 plates. I have Drum Sanded big round recesses to clear the camera lens on some. The PD plates have solved a lot of problems for me.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter

FWIW, Manfrotto has a dual plate too.
https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/200pl-plate-aluminium-rc2-and-arca-swiss-compatible-200pl-pro/

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
That clamp is available in USA at B&H:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1026970-REG/sunwayfoto_mac_14_arca_manfrotto_compatible.html

Works very nicely, although it took me A LONG TIME to figure out how it works with the RC2 plate. There's an extra groove in the top, but I almost flunked that IQ test! It may not be what the OP is looking for, but it is nice to know about, as well as the PD double plate (AS and RC2 compatible) and the Manfrotto version of that. I never knew about those. I have 10,237 RC2 plates, however...

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Now using the PD dual plates on my cameras. All tripods and monopods fitted with Manfrotto heads. Using the spare RC2 heads on my flash guns.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom