RC Flash mode lag?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by letsgocoyote, Dec 22, 2011.

1. letsgocoyote

letsgocoyote Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    I have an E-PM1 and was thinking of maybe getting the FL-36r. I was curious about the RC flash mode... as I have read the clip on flash does some sort of pre-flash burst to communicate with the FL-36r before actually taking the picture. But I was curious, what is the lag between when you press the shutter and when the picture is actually taken? Is it sort of slow? Sort of fast? Instant?
  2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Well with me and the FL-300R, it's relatively fast. Fast enough that I have to actually look at the FL-300R to make sure it fired...
  3. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Pretty instantaneous...
  4. letsgocoyote

letsgocoyote Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    Would it compete favorably with the speed of radio slaves? If so, that would be pretty amazing for me. There are still some advantages to radio slaves I think. I guess I imagined the RC mode having some lag... probably only OK for portraiture. But if it is fast enough for more decisive moments that would be awesome, because being able to control flash power of multiple units from the camera would be super slick. i think i will get at least one fl-36r, but if it is good enough I could see getting a 2nd or third