Raynox for macro photography

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by aznpapaya, Dec 21, 2015.

1. aznpapaya

aznpapaya Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 1, 2013
    I'm trying to get back into photography and want to focus on macro photography. I recently purchased the M5 Mii and have the Oly 60 macro lens. For anyone who have the Oly 60 and/or Raynox 250, do you recommend buying the Raynox 250? What are the pros and cons? Pictures are welcome.

Initially, I want to focus on flower and insects.

2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    A few samples I've taken with the Oly60 + Raynox 250 -combo: Search: raynox | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I like it. Unfortunately there's not much to shoot at atm since it's so dark, wet and cold.

Decent/usable auto focus speed
    Gets really close
    Good IQ

Needs good light (flash)
    Focusing is harder
    Even f/13 can be too shallow
    1:1 means that the object won't probably fit in the frame entirely
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have both - I bought the Raynox first and then upgraded to the 60. I've never felt the need to use both together - maybe my macro aspirations aren't high enough (or small enough to be more correct)!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    You'll get about 1.75x out of the 250+60mm combo and be able to occupy the whole sensor with something about 12mm wide at minimum focus distance. View at infinity focus will be about 31mm.

You will need a 46-52mm step up ring to fit the raynox clip-on mount on the 60mm, alternatively you could use a 46-43mm step down to screw it on directly.

If you have any interest in ever getting a longer macro lens I would recommend getting the CM-2000 set here -

Raynox CM-2000 1.5x and 2.5x MacroExplorer Lens Set CM-2000 B&H

Which throws in the 4.8 diopter 150 as well for just a bit more than the 250 by itself and gives you the choice of using +4.8, +8, and +12.8 diopters rather than only having +8.

On the 60mm, because it's kind of right at an annoying spot where it's a bit long for tubes and a bit short for diopters, stacking the 150 and 250 together only brings you to 2.2x or so at mfd, which is a fairly minor bump over 1.75x in terms of absolute sizes and may not be worth it to you. But it can still help when you have something very very small to photograph.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1