Raynox DCR 250 on Panasonic 20mm f/1.7

Discussion in 'Nature' started by isabel95, Sep 8, 2010.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

on E-PL1 - attached via 46mm to 43mm stepdown ring.

I can see that the VF2 will come in very handy for checking focus. Mine is in the shipping process.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/4971655880/" title="P8080333 Milkweed Bug by Isabel Cutler, on Flickr">[​IMG]"700" height="858" alt="P8080333 Milkweed Bug" /></a>
    ...and I didn't realize I had a big blob of dirt on the Raynox when I shot this. I've cropped off most of it at the bottom:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/4971042461/" title="P8080311 Raynox Olympus by Isabel Cutler, on Flickr">[​IMG]"771" height="632" alt="P8080311 Raynox Olympus" /></a>

It was hard removing the dirt with lens fluid and a lens wipe - I think it may have been pollen.

Isabel

• Like Like x 24
  2. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    These are really impressive macros!

• Like Like x 2
  3. isabel95

I got the ID of the "milkweed bug" wrong...

i have been told it is a soldier beetle, or leatherwing.

I did a little research and found out they're very beneficial - I imagine they were looking for aphids which I have abundantly this year on my asclepias plants, although here, the bug is on sedum.

Isabel

• Like Like x 2
  4. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Isabel I think these are excellent in terms of subject matter and compostion
    The Raynox is working well with the Pancake very good detail resulting :2thumbs:

5. isabel95

Thank you, Boyzo. My VF-2 came today and I think it's going to make all my shooting a lot easy. It has a beautiful display. A good investment - like having a totally new camera.
    Isabel

6. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Your very welcome Isabel and the VF-2 is quite brilliant
    Are you into garden specimens ??

7. isabel95

Not sure what you mean by "garden specimens"...

but I certainly enjoy gardening...and have a couple of galleries dedicated to my experiences:
    How does your garden grow? Photo Gallery by Isabel Cutler at pbase.com

Had a grand time a few years ago hatching a Praying Mantis ooetheca and recording the development of the hatchlings:
    My Chinese Praying Mantis Egg Case Adventure Photo Gallery by Isabel Cutler at pbase.com

I've only had the PL1 a couple of days, so I haven't had much of a chance to collect images with it!

Isabel

• Like Like x 2
  8. mattpelletier

mattpelletier New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2011
    Question about the Raynox 250 on the 20mm 1.7

Isabel,

Those are great photos! I wanted to ask you about your experience with the 20mm and the 250, especially now that you've had more time to use it.

Is there any vignetting? Do you feel like you can get close enough to the subject or do you have to crop your photos? I am considering buying a Raynox 150 or 250 instead of a separate macro lens (which would be nice since I am traveling a lot and the smaller my kit the better). So I am just trying to figure out of it's a viable option. I do occasional macro work. My main goal is to be able to have a reasonably short minimal focal distance and not have to crop the hell out of my photos.

Have you found the magnification level satisfactory? I believe it's about 2x on the 20mm. It looks like you can get decent mag from your photos but I can't tell how cropped they are.

Thanks!
    Matt

9. isabel95

Is this close enough?

Have made a small gallery of uncropped closeups which I took outside today. It's been a bit breeze, so the handheld shots might look even sharper had there been no wind.

I've been having computer troubles, so please forgive my not embedding the images here:
    Uncropped Raynox DCR 250 pics - a set on Flickr

In all honesty, my favorite macro equipment is my little Fujifilm F30 digicam, although I have two dedicated macro lenses (not for the Oly) and a 300mm lens with macro capability. I like the depth of field I get with the digicam.

Isabel

10. mattpelletier

mattpelletier New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2011
    Thanks!

Thanks Isabel.

Nice photos. After some further research after my original comment I think I am leaning toward picking up a used Canon 50mm 3.5 macro. It seems like a nice lens, not too big, and would provide the real macro feel I will probably want. There are enough trade-offs with the Raynox 150/250 that I am willing to pick up a new lens (just not willing to drop $700 on the m43 45mm Macro).

Thanks again,
    Matt

11. isabel95

You're welcome, Matt....

I think you will appreciate being able to shoot from greater distance.

That will certainly help with insect photography.

Isabel

12. Lauzers

Lauzers Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    good light for 50mm 3.5

Matt, Just a note on the Canon 50mm 3.5 macro. I have the FD SSC version, with 1:1 tube. Compared to the Raynox and 20 1.7's fast prime combo, you will need some good light to reproduce similar shots like Isabel, using hand held of course.

Using a flash or softbox helps dramatically to get the detail, on dpreview m43 forums, there's a person with this set up and his macro work is stunning. I'll see if i can supply a link later.

13. isabel95

Yes, that is true...

and shallow depth of field will be more of an issue. Tripod is absolutely a must if you want good depth of field. Forget about wind! :) Onboard flash will enable you to use smaller apertures.

Isabel

14. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto