Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by CCRoo, Dec 20, 2011.

1. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    Tell me how far off I am:

I shoot RAW, which means few adjustments are made to the photo in-camera.

Then I import that RAW image into Aperture, and a bunch of settings show up -- sharpness, boost, etc.-- settings associated with my camera. "Raw Fine Tuning."

As I understand it, these settings reflect adjustments Apple has made for my particular camera. That includes, for example, hue boost set all the way the right, sharpening and edge sharpening also way to the right.

Should I change these settings for my E-P2 and G2? Or has Apple done the right thing for me?

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Depends. If you like what you see then Apple has done the right thing. If you don't then they haven't. You can always change them.

p.s. you are perfectly correct as to what you think is happening.
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Apple has done the right thing... ignore the raw fine tuning things Apple spent a lot of time getting those right... or at least good...and concentrate on learning the other stuff... I would recommend learning the curves, definition and highlight recovery

It will never cure a bad photo....but thats where the magic happens

4. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    So the sharpening all the way to the right isn't too much? They just look like very dramatic corrections!
  5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    At least with Olympus, LR usually tries to apply similar levels of in-camera NR, comtrast, brightness and sharpening. Although I don't know exactly how it works. I open raw only when I plan some extensive editing at which time I usually dramatically change all the settings
  6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Download the manual from Apple and read up on the RAW processing module. Some of the controls, including sharpening, are lens/camera/ISO sensitive and will show different amounts for different photos. Some other settings simply have a normal setting of 1 but what that means can be different for different cameras. Normally I just leave the settings alone though I occasionally reduce Hue to 0 and what that does is reproduce Hue as captured by your camera and the normal setting of 1 is a value that is camera specific so 1 for an E-P3 is a different amount of adjustment to 1 for, say, a Nikon DSLR.