1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

RAW Thumbnails

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by acnomad, Sep 12, 2016.

1. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    I've noticed that Win10 renders thumbnails of .ORF (RAW files) taken with my E-M1 but not from my E-M5ii. Does anyone know what settings in Windows and/or the E-M5ii would enable rendering of thumbnails?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Cant help with this but thought i would add the same question for GX8 files in case a very knowledgeable member comes along.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Can't speak for Windows, but on the Mac, raw support for specific, newer cameras is part of a regular update to the OS.

I would check that you are up to date with your windows installation

K

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I noticed the same now that I have an E-M1. It is a codec issue and that latest codec packs I could find from Microsoft or Olympus do not have the E-M10 listed as a supported model.

There is the FastPicture Viewer Codec Pack (paid product). I downloaded the trial which works fine. Haven't paid for it and have no long term experience with the product.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    That is a good call, but I actually do have the latest Windows update. Based on what @SVQuant@SVQuant wrote, I suspect it is just a case of Microsoft being behind in supporting the newer Oly camera RAW files. It would seem that the E-M5ii saves JPGs with enough info to make Windows to recognize it as a photo but the ORF output from the newer camera is a mystery to Windows. JPG and ORF.JPG

6. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    AFAIK, JPEG support is native and not camera dependent. Every camera's raw file has some camera specific information (distortion/CA correction, etc) which needs to be interpreted. What I don't understand is why the default preview embedded JPEG cannot be rescaled and shown as a thumbnail. Here is a screenshot of a folder with some shots from my E-M10:
    upload_2016-9-12_11-37-48.

7. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    The Microsoft codecs are updated infrequently. Unless new ones have surfaced the last update I noticed was from 2014.

If those previews are something you want you will need to grab the codec from somewhere else such as the FPV codec pack mentioned above.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Apple used to get a lot of flack on being slow to add new cameras to their raw support... they seem to have got better in recent years

K

9. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have used the FastPictureViewer codec for many years. It works brilliantly - well worth the one-off cost.

10. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    That's great to know. I meant to dig into this on their site, but do you know if the license purchase is single machine only?

11. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    From the site:
    Licensing:
    The FastPictureViewer Codec Pack is licensed on a per-user basis and the license terms allows for installation of the software on multiple computers belonging and used by the same user.

12. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have it on all five of my computers. And every few years I update it at no extra cost.

13. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2015
    Could also convert to DNG's during import to get thumbnails if you want. Still a codec pack, I think this is what I used - Adobe - DNG Codec : For Windows

(Sorry, don't have a solution to the original question)

14. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    FastPictureViewer Pro and the associated codecs have proven a valuable asset for more than five years. It's just too bad that Adobe and the like cannot stay as up to date.