1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Raw support is comming in IOS 10

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jo45800, Jun 14, 2016.

1. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    Hi everyone,

Just to mention, I am not opening this discussion for creating another war between devices, operating system and to know which system is better than the other one, because it always depend of your needs and what you feel.

That being said, I'd like to point that in its WWDC keynote yesterday, a mention of raw photo editing was spotted in one of their slide. And I am wondering if I am the only one that use more and more his ipad (or iphone) for editing purpose? I find some apps very powerful and the user experience is great. (I know some apps have already raw support but it’s not perfect yet).

I know IOS has some drawbacks like multiple pictures processing or storage. But when I was in Thailand I really loved to only process the picture I wanted at my fingers tips but I was a little bit frustrated that I didn’t have the possibility to go further in the editing process, and the raw support in IOS 10 might change that, what are your thoughts?

PS: My main apps are : Snapseed, Filterstorm, vsco, Maxcurve

2. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I would love to edit raw pictures on iPad with the lightroom-app.
    Will that be possible?

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This can only help Apple's bottom line given the absurd prices they charge for storage on their iOS devices.

4. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

Not a lot is known about this right now. I read about it on dpreview:

Raw capture coming to iPhone in iOS 10?

... and they linked to a document on Apple's developer site:

iOS 10.0

RAW editing would be a nice add for many people.

My questions: Will current iPhones will be able to take RAW photos? Will the files be DNG format or something that I have to upgrade Lightroom to edit on my Mac?

The developers received their first copy of ios 10 on Monday. There will be a public beta. I think Apple said that will be released in July.

Apple Beta Software Program

The actual release will be "in the fall," according to Apple.

Any speculation now is going to be replaced by facts in a few weeks or months, so I don't think it's worth trying to guess what is going to happen. I've been waiting for RAW support for a long time, I can wait a little longer for details.

5. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    I think the limitation in IOS about raw is the fact it's not supported natively. There are already some apps that support Raw files so I don't see why lightroom could not.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    I've tested some ways by importing raw files (with a Wireless hub) and open the file in an app that support raw (by opening the file in file manager app that see the raw files) but It's a very slow process.

So If raw support mean I can import my raw files with the sd card adaptor (or if olympus could add raw transfer with their phone app, it could be great!) and also upload pictures in the same ways. It would answer the storage problem (because sd cards and mini sd cards are cheap).

Raw support natively + this kind of apps A Sneak Peek at Affinity Photo for iPad and I am sold

7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Man, I would love to be able to transfer RAW images from my GH4 or E-M1 to my iPhone and edit them in Photoshop express. I frequently do this now while I'm on location, but the latitude with the JPEG files is severely limited compared to what I'm able to achieve with the RAW files in LR on my MBP.

This would be a huge improvement. Plus, I'm about due for a new iPhone anyways. I'm still using the original iPhone 5 that I got on launch day, which will be 4 years old this September.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    Yes It's exactly my point, I have an iPhone 6 plus and the screen size is big enough for editing purpose on the go, just missing raw support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Hereford, UK
    Martin Connolly
  10. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
  11. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you for including the source. Too bad they don't include their sources. "Some new information about this raw capturing (shooting of raw images) capability was made available yesterday evening:" is another way of saying that they read it on another website.

With a little bit of searching I see this is all over the Internet tech news echo chamber this morning. I don't see any announcement from Apple though.

I hope it is true. I have an iPhone SE. I would like to shoot RAW to gain lossless adjusting of white balance in Lightroom.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  12. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    My 2 cents about Apple not doing announcement about Raw support is that most of people who are using phone to take pictures doesn't care/ need raw. So no need to make an announcement for maybe less than 3% of users.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    In the linked article, it's a bit odd. It says that only the SE, 6S, 6S+ will be able to shoot RAW (don't even both to mention taking pictures with an iPad, I'm not even going to go there).

While I could see that why that may be the case maybe for processing the RAW images and the need for a better/faster processor, but if the article is true it's a bit odd why they would limit the capture of RAW images to only those devices. Why couldn't you shoot RAW with your iPhone 5S or 6, transfer it to an iPad that supports RAW development, edit it on the iPad, transfer the edited RAW back to your iPhone, and share it on social media?

It seems a bit silly IMO to limit the devices that can shoot RAW to only the most recent releases. Granted, I plan on getting an iPhone 7 so it shouldn't affect me, but it does kinda stink for users who have a 5S or 6, and would like to hold on to their devices for another 1-2 years.

14. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    Maybe it's because of the hardware. The SE, 6S, 6S+ share the same sensor and cpu

15. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 1
  16. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    "High Resolution Still Images During Video Capture" sounds like the 4K pics from panasonic

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

17. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    My Nexus 5 has had DNG capability for quite a while. Just wish the camera was a little better.

18. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    I can edit my E-P5 raw files on my iPad using snapseed and upload it to Flickr using Flickstackr. Works perfectly. I use this method when traveling and don't want to bring the laptop.

19. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    How do you import your raw files? I was under the impression that snapseed as the photo app from apple just convert the raw in a jpeg so you can't process the raw file (change white balance, etc...)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

20. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

It may also be a practical economic decision. Apple gives this new feature to all of the people who bought the latest, greatest device in the last year, which keeps them happy. Everyone else can buy a new phone or tablet if they want RAW. That makes more money for Apple, and it means less code they have to write and support on older machines.

Slightly off topic, I am pleasantly surprised by how malleable the JPEG files are from my iPhone SE. I can throw a lot of adjustments at them in Lightroom before they fall apart: color, clarity, sharpness, tone curve, etc. This was not true of my previous iPhone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1