1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

raw processing tool for phones that shoot raw

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pellicle, May 23, 2016.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi
    I just bought a new phone that apparently has a raw format. I note a few members here are saying their phones do raw, so what are you converting with?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You could try LR Mobile or Snapseed?

• Like Like x 1
  3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    thanks ... done a bit more digging and while the phone I've bought is not specified, others from that same company are using .dng as their raw file ... that's handy cos that'll work with everything I've already got :)

(Photoshop 4 ~ 6 with various ACR versions, Rawtherapee and good old dcraw)

I'll post back when I've managed to take a picture after I manage to get the phone ...

4. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    As far as I know DNG rather than a proprietary format is fairly common for phones with a raw option. That is certainly the case for LG. With my LG G4 I shoot raw and jpg, use the jpg if I need to share immediately, and for a small number of photos develop the DNG in Lightroom on my computer later.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I've been pretty happy with Photo Mate R3 on my Lenovo Tablet. I don't use it a lot, mostly just when I travel, and mostly with my ORF files. But it does raw, has layers, etc. it's a pretty complete editor. I feel I can handle pretty much any situation I encounter with it.

Here is the Photo Mate web site: Home | www.photo-mate.com

Naturally, you can download it from the Google app store. I don't think there is an iOS version, but I could be wrong, you'd have to check if that is your preferred flavor.

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    have you tried any of the on phone developers? For instance dcraw does a "half size" TIFF that is fast to run, so something like that may be sufficient. I have not yet downloaded Snapseed. Or is it annoying working on the smaller screen? I've only used android on 10" tablets so far.

7. alan1972

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I have had this phone only a few weeks and haven't had the chance yet to try working with the raw on the phone itself. It is probably something I wouldn't use much so long as I am going to be back at my PC the same day, which is the case at the moment. If I plan a trip away from home I may look into it.

Also I am still trying to figure out if I get better results with the built in camera app or another app such as Camera FV-5. For some reason the FV-5 DNG files are much larger than the ones produced by the LG built in app. I need to take some time to figure out if that difference actually means anything or it is just that LG uses better lossless compression. Another thing that confuses me a little is that when shooting raw plus jpg, the embedded jpg preview in the raw file shows quite different colours from the main jpg. This is different from what I am used to with Olympus.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    makes me wonder if the embedded JPG is different.

would the size difference be about the size of a JPG?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. alan1972

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I think you have hit on it. It looks like FV-5 is embedding a full-size jpg, whereas the LG app embeds a quarter size jpg. I think the LG approach works better for me here - as there is no "raw only" option there will always be a full size jpg available, so no real advantage to taking up space with a high res jpg within the dng.

I have also noticed another issue with FV5 - the date and time information in the DNG file is completely unreliable (out by several days), and in a way that I think can only be corrected by manually fixing each file one at a time. I believe it relates to a known Android issue that effects various 3rd party apps that save DNG files (Issue 157238 - android - Incorrect Date on DNG Images from Camera2 API - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting). So for the moment I think I will stick with the native LG app.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I used Snapseed when doing very minor edits on my phone, but if I actually care about the images I will transfer the DNGs from my LG G4 over to my computer and just use Lightroom. Works exactly like processing any other RAW file.