Raw or jpeg?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Photorebel, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    I shot raw a lot with dslrs, but with the EM 1, I really like what I'm getting from jpegs..in portrait setting.

This was a shot from yesterday, with only slight increase in exposure in post. Other than that sooc. Didn't adjust WB or skin tones.

Maybe I'm relying too much on auto, but if it delivers the results I want, does it matter? Both with EM 1 and 75 lens, on portrait setting, auto WB, shot in AP.

p308484491-4.

p326023358-4.

• Like Like x 6
  2. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    RAW can be a hard habit to break :)
    I too am liking the results from EM-1 and jpeg. I say, if it's a somewhat normal situation, then jpeg is the way to go.

Very nice shots by-the-way! I especially like the first one.

3. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    Thank you. I'm still learning the EM1…it's a capable camera. More so than the photographer. :)
    raw does give me more to work with, but tried portrait setting for first time yesterday. I'm inclined to stick with it.

4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have my E-M10 set at RAW + jpeg, but I really haven't found the need for the RAW yet. Part of the problem is my inexperience with PP, but to my eye, my jpeg's look very good.

5. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I have worked with Photoshop, Topaz plugins, Photomatix etc for the last few years. Those programs are addictive......but excellent once you learn how to use them. Just a little tweaking can sometimes change the picture all together. Even just with a few minor adjustments.

However, sometimes the best picture is the one that you just taken and no need for adjustments.

I have always shot in RAW. But I love that the EM-10 has WIFI and in camera adjustments for RAW and jpeg. I also use the "myset" function for different effects.

I now shoot RAW + jpeg exclusively so that I can post pictures right away if I feel the need.

Love that first picture by the way.

I would have made adjustments to the second picture though....pulled back the highlights and increased the overall exposure. The brightness from the background unfortunately dominates that picture. Best to use the RAW file for these adjustments (as you know).

6. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I love to shoot in B&W or "Monotone Mode" on Olympus. So, I typically set my OM-D E-M10 to Monotone with capture set to RAW+JPG and JPG quality at Medium Fine. Plenty of resolution in JPGs which I send to my iPad. The RAWs are only if I want the color version. So far that is rare!

7. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Nice photos! Your daughter is very cute.

As for the raw/jpeg question, yes I too find that jpegs look very nice. I guess I figure storage is cheap and raw+jpeg helps me when I screw up some settings. Plus, that one time when I see Elvis climbing onboard a UFO, I want to make sure I have all the data available to me, just in case.... :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    :rofl:

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I, also, shoot set to RAW & jpeg.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What you could try this: http://michaeltapesdesign.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw.html, shoot some RAW and JPG images and compare the IJFR JPGs to the camera JPGs. If there's not much difference, then you can shoot just RAW and quickly convert RAW images to JPG (and it is extremely quick), which will save you space on the memory card and perhaps battery power as well. I use this program all the time to quickly convert RAW files to JPG for review and general use if needed, and then use Lightroom for images that I want to work on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I post here and discuss camera technicalities with you guys, but truth be told, I usually shoot JPEG on the highest compression, many of them at only 8 MP. I've been taking digital photos since 2002 and film before that and I've never found myself in a situation where a 6 MP JPEG isn't enough. I'm not saying I wouldn't if someone ordered wedding prints from me or something, but my creativity in my shots is mainly for my own satisfaction. Sure, I take good photos with good lenses composed 'properly' (at times read: artistically) at the appropriate aperture, but as far as saving and backing up 1000s of photos, looking at them on a 1-2 MP monitor, and sharing them with family and you guys? JPEG all the way. I like 1 MB files as opposed to 15 MB. So, when Sony does something like make a low-light optimized 12 MP FF camera (or when Sigma made a 5 MP and said it was as good as a 15), I'm the first guy to say that's a good idea! :)

12. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    #1 - your daughter is ADORABLE!!!! And she will love these wonderful shots when she gets older.

I always shot JPEG until I got my Olympus E-510 which constantly blew out highlights. So I switched to RAW. Now I have the Stylus 1 and the EM10, and aside from Apple being very slow at RAW updates for Aperture and my strong dislike for the clunky Olympus Viewer 3, I have also been very happy with the JPEG files from both cameras (especially the EM10). So while I admit that I will probably play with RAW again when Apple gets off its collective butt, I am in no rush.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Recent Oly bodies provide such pleasing jpegs that I am now questioning shooting raw+jpeg. With E-M10, I got addicted to transferring photos via wifi to my phone, ipad and laptop. Wifi app does not transfer raw. I feel kind of liberated to not bother with raw. More importantly, I find Oly jpegs more pleasing than LR. It is much more fun to get it right in the camera. Post processing is cheating, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  14. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I shoot raw+basic jpeg and import only jpegs most of the time. If I need a raw I can go back and get it off the card.

15. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    100% raw.

i did a few raw+jpeg comparison and always preferred my own processing. processing and massaging the photo is a part of the fun of the photographic process. plus i can always batch convert to jpeg to acceptable levels.

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    RAW + small JPG (if the option's there), for quick and dirty sharing on social networking/emailing it around if necessary, and having the best quality file for post-processing in pre-print. RAW is particularly important in difficult lighting and for situations where I want maximum details, i.e. most of what I shoot (landscape and candid, available light portraiture).

17. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Shoot both (although many RAW files already have the JPG embedded in it). Play with alternative RAW processing techniques, you can do more than just curves and with just a few clicks too.

For instance

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2011/01/photomatix-4-tonemapping-and-raw.html
    http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2008/11/tone-mapping-for-lazy-photographer.html

If you don't like your image but you like the shot you can do something with raw at you can't with jpg

For instance, last week Camera JPG

13484429114_42372c59db_c.

vs a few clicks in Photomatix on the RAW file

13484188344_a539e4c37a_c.

perhaps you may have done more or less to it, but tonemapping in RAW can essentially do what the contrast mask did in Negative back in the film days ... bring contrast under control

18. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Also draw will pull out the embedded jpg from raw files in a wink. Its free and works on Mac and PC. AFAIK allraw files have an embedded jpg to allow the camera to display it on the back screen. Raw files occasionally do not have the EXIF data embedded, but the embedded raw file does. This allows you to get at that too :)

Lastly using raw will allow you to recover from whoopsies like the wrong colour settings (say, indoor vs sunlight) without issue and also balance out your colour from frame to frame if you have chosen AWB in your settings.

19. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Remember that a JPEG file using an 8 bit format. In 8 bits you can represent up to 256 shades of color in each of the 3 color channels. Compare that level of information with a raw file that can have 12 or 14 bits of color information per channel. Which has a better chance of accurately capturing and reproducing the scene?

1 bit = 2 shades of color per channel
    2 bits = 4 shades of color per channel
    3 bits = 8 shades of color per channel
    4 bits = 16 shades of color per channel
    5 bits = 32 shades of color per channel
    6 bits = 64 shades of color per channel
    7 bits = 128 shades of color per channel
    8 bits = 256 shades of color per channel
    9 bits = 512 shades of color per channel
    10 bits = 1024 shades of color per channel
    11 bits = 2048 shades of color per channel
    12 bits = 4096 shades of color per channel
    13 bits = 8192 shades of color per channel
    14 bits = 16384 shades of color per channel

• Like Like x 1
  20. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Post processing on a computer, Art, is really no different than "post processing" in a dark room was, but I'm not arguing or, really, disagreeing with your more important point: "get it right in the camera!"

I think we all try to do that, but knowing we can "fix it later" can make you less attentive during the capture perhaps. In the past year or so, I have been shooting only in Manual mode and making every effort to "get it right in camera." As you say, it is, indeed, liberating.