RAW or Jpeg

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by barandbrew, Sep 26, 2010.

1. barandbrew

barandbrew New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2010
    Hi all
    I am new to this forum have just ordered a EP1 to see how my 4/3 lens work on the pen as this is where Olympus sees its future. I have a question do most users shoot raw or jpeg ? I shoot raw with my e3 and use cs3 in pp.
    My main lens are 7/14 12/60 and fisheye I am hoping the work well on the pen. :confused:
    Thanks
    John

• Like Like x 4
  2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I shoot both. Storage is cheap, and the RAW is like a negative - you always have it there in case you want to manipulate the image differently and still have access to all the information on the image. JPEG doesn't allow you to do that to the same extent. Processing time is the same, so I'd rather work with the RAW files. I use JPEGs as my proofs/contact prints, and I've matched the color profile in the camera for the JPEGs to try and match what my preference is for after processing in RAW.

3. sblehm

sblehm Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2010
    To make a long story short I now shoot jpg+RAW.

When I first got my E-PL1 I only shot jpg. My reasoning was:
    a. I almost alway shoot in burst mode when shooting anything that moves (my kids) and don't like to have the buffer fill and slow down shooting.
    b. I was going for overall simplicity in approach to micro 4/3. I didn't wan't a huge kit with all sorts of things that I needed to lug around. I also didn't want to spend hours processing my pics when I got done shooting.... just transfer the pics to disk and be done.

My attitude recently changed after a batch of bad photos taken on a hike. After I made some adjustments for a photo in strange lighting I forgot to change the settings back to the way I had set them for full sunlight. In the bright sun I didn't notice for about the next 50 shots that the WB and exp. were out of whack. If I had shot RAW I am sure they would have been easily fixed, but in jpg format I ended up deleting most of them.

4. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    RAW, very occasionally + jpeg.
    There is a lot more detail and information available in the RAW file. I often print too, so every little bit I can pull out of an image is crucial. With the latest processing tools, such as Lightroom, processing is very swift and very simple - and non-destructive.

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I shoot raw. I'm dumping them in LR anyway and don't shoot action w/ my GF1. So I don't particularly see a use for doing both or just jpeg (well, the latter if I am stretching my memory card capacity)

6. zuiko

zuiko Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 19, 2010
    I always shoot RAW and then use Bibble to process them and save off JPEGs as needed. I prefer it to lightroom... it is significantly faster.

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome John - I shoot RAW and use LR3.

8. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    I shoot raw+JPG. I usually discard the raw files, but sometimes I need the raw edit feature to fix stupid mistakes like incorrect white balance.

9. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I shoot in Raw and process in Bibble Pro 5. I have tried RawTherapee but noted that when using my Voigtlander 15mm, f/4.5 lens lens the latter processor produces strange artifacts in one corner of the photograph that does not happen with Bibble.

Barrie

Panasonic G1 and GF1 with Voigtlander lenses 12mm to 75mm plus Sigma 105mm f/2.8 for macro work

10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    All RAW, all the time. I process in Aperture - takes only a few more seconds than jpeg to get a whole batch processed to basic jpeg standards and from there, its up to you and you've left all of your options open.

-Ray

11. PeteMarshall

PeteMarshall Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Always processed my own film in the old days, so shooting RAW is a natural progression for me. The only digital camera I have ever allowed to process my images for me is my phone and that only because I have yet to find a way to hack it to get the RAW files!
    Clever the engineers of camera firmware may be, they don't know how I visualise an image so letting them decide on how my image should look just isn't going to do it for me.

12. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    OK, I'll be the oddball here ;-)

I have always shot RAW with my Canon DSLRs. However with my E-PL1 I am trying to simplify my photography so I am shooting JPG. The JPGs out of the camera are the best I've ever seen from any camera and in fact, I use many of them completely untouched in post processing, which is something I've never done with any camera I've ever owned.

13. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    The E-P1 usually comes out with JPEGs as good or better than I can manage on my PC. There are exceptions, but in general my preferred raw file processor is the one inside the camera.

I always take a raw along with my JPEG; it just doesn't necessary stay for long. I have, form time to time, kept a raw for later because I suspected that there was more usable information in it than I was getting.

14. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Another vote for raw plus jpeg. I used to do this by rote, but now I am using a suggestion on Rob Boyer's site that takes advantage of the 'import matching raw' feature. Basically, import a first run of all jpegs, then filter them down to a subset that you are really interested in and import the matching raw. Saves on memory and time (importing jpeg is very quick).

Of course - using a GF1 I find raw produces better colours anyway.

15. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Raw

Raw because I have a Panasonic :rolleyes:. Elements 8 because it is affordable and does everything I need.

16. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I like to shoot jpegs as much as I can, as long as what comes out of the camera looks nice to my eye. The e-p1 jpegs always look nice to me - except where my lack of skill as a photographer gets in the way.

17. barandbrew

barandbrew New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2010
    Hi Bill
    Thought you would be here. Got my EP1 today first impressions are good waiting for the MMF-1 to arrive so I can try your 7-14 (now my favourite lens) I am hoping I can use all my 4/3 lens on the pen and graduadually build into a m4/3 system
    Cheers
    John

18. barandbrew

barandbrew New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the advice I had thought of shooting jpeg to simplify my pen use however I will stick to raw . I will have to convert to dng for cs3 use but cant justify the expence of updating CS3 just to have EP1 raw input

19. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I was disappointed with the rather slow (but reasonably accurate) AF with my 4/3 lenses hence I sold them. You probably know most 4/3 lenses use phase difference AF and :43: not having a mirror must use contrast detect AF (like a P&S).

20. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa