RAW+JPEG Workflow that allows JPEG as primary? (Mac)

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by gpburdell, Jul 21, 2016.

1. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Thanks to the 20% off sale I have a new to me (refurb) Pen F to enjoy.

The creative dial intrigues me and I expect to play around with that feature; I've typically ignored the Art modes/filters on my other m43 cameras, so I've not had to concern myself with a RAW+JPEG workflow where the JPEG is the "primary" image.

So, what are people doing for a RAW+JPEG workflow that lets them easily keep both files in sync in terms of categorizations, ratings, metadata, and all the other sorts of stuff? Aperture used to let you set the JPEG as the "master" image while keeping the R+J paired, but unfortunately Adobe has failed to provide that capability in Lightroom.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  2. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    I seperate JPG and RAW to different folders before importing RAWs to Lightroom. I use the JPGs for quick social media sharing, with minimal editing done on a mobile device. If I want to do anything more I'll edit the RAW in Lightroom.

That doesn't solve the issue you are outlining, unfortunately. I often struggle to find an original JPG or RAW after time has passed since the original file name often gets stripped or renamed when sharing online, and I often archive things off to other drives when needed, making it quite an adventure to dig up older images.

I'm interested to see other answers as I am not aware of any good method for keeping RAW+JPG paired on a Mac.
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

In LR you can tell it to import RAW and JPEG as separate files, and then stack the folder based on shooting time of 0 second interval. Will get RAW + JPEG in a stack.
  4. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Yes. Unfortunately ratings/tags/etc don't propagate to all members of the stack as far as I know. Better than nothing, but not ideal. Thanks.