1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

RAW Format support coming to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by gwydionjhr, Mar 19, 2019.

1. gwydionjhr

gwydionjhr Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Joel
    With the next update to Windows 10 (19H1) support for many types of RAW formats will be available in Windows 10.

If you're running the current Insider Fast Ring build, you can go to the store and download the beta app for these extensions here: Get Raw Image Extension (Beta) - Microsoft Store

Microsoft is using the Open Source LibRAW library to bring this functionality to Windows. You can see the full list of supported cameras/file types here: LibRaw | raw image decoder

I believe after 19H1 goes out, if you try to open a raw file Windows 10 will automatically take you to the store to install the final RAW Image Extension add-in

• Informative Informative x 5
  2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Photos app in the current Windows 10 build displays .ORF files.

Brian

3. halebalephoto

halebalephoto Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2015
    Will it display the embedded jpg or what will it display?

4. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can't answer your question. I ran across it by accident when I was browsing a folder and noticed that .ORFs appeared as little images. Clicking on one invoked Photos with a large image. Photos doesn't seem to do much so I installed IrfanView instead. It will display .ORFs with a plug-in.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have left on automatic update and found out accidentally that one can now do edits on .ORF files and get a jpg file output when saving the result.

6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    What's the plug-in and where do you get it? I find Irfanview really useful for a lot of things.

7. gwydionjhr

gwydionjhr Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Joel
    It will display the embedded . jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.