Raw files on APPLE A cure?

brnmatsumoto

Mu-43 Regular
Hi everyone,

I had a problem with Aperture and iPhoto translating my RAW files from a GH2 camera. It generated an image with a green hue that could not be compensated in Aperture. Many users have complained to Apple about this problem and it looks like we have a solution.

See if you can upgrade your Apple software. You will get a notice that there is a Digital Camera Raw Compatibility update available (version 3.6). It provides Raw translation for a bunch of cameras, including the Olympus E-5. But it also addresses processing issues for the following cameras for:

Panasonic Lumix GF1
and
Panasonic GH2

I just downloaded the update. If there is any interest, I will report on whether it corrects the green hue in images I already uploaded to Aperture or if it just ensures that their inputting of new images (after the update) into Aperture cures the problem.

Brian

brnmatsumoto

Mu-43 Regular
It works

OK, a quick test on my GH2 files already in Aperture.

When I first called up the image in Aperture it had the sickly green hue. Then Aperture started working on the image and I saw the symbol indicating processing. The image then appeared without the green hue. Much better than what I had to work with originally. I had shot in both RAW and JPEG and I could only work with my JPEGs.

I had started translating the files to DNG and worked with those in Photoshop. But I prefer Aperture and this fits my work flow much better.

Hurrah!

Brian

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I think I'm good luck with Panasonic and Apple. In October I bought an LX5 among much angst and gnashing of teeth from the masses about lack of Apple RAW support for that cam. Within a week or two, Apple came good. I bought a GH2 among the green tint scare about a week ago and here they've come and fixed it for me again! Just saying - if Panasonic isn't getting adequate Apple support on some new model in the future, you all may want to go in and buy me one of whatever isn't working and then it will soon be fixed! :cool:

Warning - this offer only works with Panasonic. I bought an epl1 last March and Apple didn't get around to supporting it directly (although it could be fooled...) until August. But for Panasonic, I'm evidently da man...

-Ray

pjohngren

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As one who has given up on RAW and who has recently spent time learning the various possible adjustments of my G1 and GF1, I really wonder why anyone bothers with RAW processing. Adobe Camera RAW only provides a very generic and rather poor conversion of Panasonic RAW files and it is noisy and no where near as good as the out-of-camera JPEGs You can get gorgeous images right out of the camera - why waist your time with RAW processing? And since each camera model from each manufacturer puts out a different RAW file, do you really think they will keep up with all these converters in future imaging programs? JPEGs, on the other hand, are universal, stable, well thought out - a standard. I say free yourself from RAW. And while you are at it, free yourself from Adobe 1998 color space - sRGB not only works fine, has the same number of colors, it is smoother since the colors are closer together - better gradations in tone.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
As one who has given up on RAW and who has recently spent time learning the various possible adjustments of my G1 and GF1, I really wonder why anyone bothers with RAW processing. Adobe Camera RAW only provides a very generic and rather poor conversion of Panasonic RAW files and it is noisy and no where near as good as the out-of-camera JPEGs You can get gorgeous images right out of the camera - why waist your time with RAW processing? And since each camera model from each manufacturer puts out a different RAW file, do you really think they will keep up with all these converters in future imaging programs? JPEGs, on the other hand, are universal, stable, well thought out - a standard. I say free yourself from RAW. And while you are at it, free yourself from Adobe 1998 color space - sRGB not only works fine, has the same number of colors, it is smoother since the colors are closer together - better gradations in tone.

There are whole long threads dedicated to this very topic. We don't need to rehash it again. Suffice it say that a lot of us find sufficient benefit to shooting with RAW and having more data to work with in processing an image (rather than letting the camera do all of the interpreting) that we're willing to put up with the occasional delay in getting all of the hardware and software to line up. I'm happy enough shooting jpegs for those short periods of time I've had to, but I'm much happier having RAW files to work with. Hence, I'm glad Apple worked this out...

-Ray

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman

only speaking from my own perspective... but RAW with apps like Aperture or Lightroom is not a bother at all...in fact its invisible to me... I get to work with all the bits the camera captures as opposed to the 8 bit image a JPEG gives me.

K

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
REMARKS REMOVED - they made no sense at all now that the post they were reacting to has been deleted...

The basic point is shoot what you like and don't get up in arms if someone else makes a different choice...

-Ray

noelh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bayview Township, SouthShore of Lake Superior
Shoot RAW +fine JPEG. Quality higher capacity SD cards are relatively inexpensive compared to a few years ago. Each format has its purpose. As a person stuck with some ancient underpowered computer hardware. Limited to PSE, SilkyPix & iPhoto and don't care much for PSE of SilkyPix. Process jpegs and prints small for now. Store the RAW images for later.

Nice to here that Apple has dealt with the A3 issue. Still debating which software A3 or LR3 for the next set up.

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Noel I put in 8GB of ram in my MacBook pro and A3 did run just a tiny bit quicker. But when I installed a SSD hard-drive it was a whole different story. I guesstimate a 25-30 percent increase in image load and export times. But for 200 brass razoo's it would be logical to put the ram in- a good check is to run aperture and monitor how many of page outs are recorded by activity monitor.
The less number of page outs the better.

pjohngren

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There are whole long threads dedicated to this very topic. We don't need to rehash it again. Suffice it say that a lot of us find sufficient benefit to shooting with RAW and having more data to work with in processing an image (rather than letting the camera do all of the interpreting) that we're willing to put up with the occasional delay in getting all of the hardware and software to line up. I'm happy enough shooting jpegs for those short periods of time I've had to, but I'm much happier having RAW files to work with. Hence, I'm glad Apple worked this out...-Ray

I feel that this thread makes my point re: the problems with RAW processing. Having spent 6 months as well as two copies of Elements 8 (to cover the computers I have) as well as two or three books on the topic, and then to realize the results are not that great, are time consuming, can only be viewed with special programs or when converted, it just strikes me as not worth the effort. I agree that everyone has a free choice in this matter, but I would just like to encourage those who also find in-camera processing fun and efficient to explore that route. These cameras are very easy to fine tune so that they do a great job processing their own RAW files instantly, the way you want them and at your direction, giving you a photograph that is ready to go and viewable on any computer.

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Yeah, you're right. Nobody who shoots raw knows anything about the fundamentals of photography and everyone who shoots jpeg does. Anymore universal truths you'd like us to subscribe to? I'm more than happy that you have a format you like to use. So do I. I don't care if they're not the same one. You probably shouldn't either.

-Ray

Boy Ray, you are a lot more civil than many RAW shooters would have been.

I shoot RAW. I've never had a problem with RAW. I believe that RAW is a valuable tool which enables me to squeeze the most image quality and image impact from my photo files.

I'd be happy to put up my RAW generated galleries against JPEG generated galleries and judge which galleries have the better Image Quality and Image Impact.

If my images come up short ... then I'll try shooting JPEG and you can teach me about "basic composition and" help me [sic] "understand something about apertures and shutter speeds along with depth of field effects" ... If my images come out on top ... then you JPEG only shooters follow Ray's suggestion.

Gary

mick / Lumix

Cannot find how to remove all comments and quit this site, have asked the Admin, perhaps he could remove me.

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Cannot find how to remove all comments and quit this site, have asked the Admin, perhaps he could remove me.

You'll be right mate, You'll feel better tomorrow. Don't worry about what others say concerning what you do. Everyone likes different things- that's what makes us unique. If everything was the same, this world would be a boring place.

Cheerio,
Icon

Danny_Two

Mu-43 Regular
Ive gone the other way, I only ever used jpeg but ive now switched to RAW, mainly because I take a lot of pics in pubs/bars and the extra de-noise slider in Aperture is handy for high ISO photo's.
Never save in RAW though, all goes to jpeg in the end.

If you have Snow Leopard Update 3.5 adds support Canon S95. If you are running Leopard Update 3.4 adds support Canon S95
Apple is presently at Update 3.6 for both systems.

Yep, tried it last night, all good.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
RAW, JPEG, Apple, PC, iOS, Android... Go to any photography forum, and you'll see the same kind of somewhat immature exchange with some folks coming on strong and others overreacting. Lets all recognize this for what it is and get past it.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I feel that this thread makes my point re: the problems with RAW processing. Having spent 6 months as well as two copies of Elements 8 (to cover the computers I have) as well as two or three books on the topic, and then to realize the results are not that great, are time consuming, can only be viewed with special programs or when converted, it just strikes me as not worth the effort. I agree that everyone has a free choice in this matter, but I would just like to encourage those who also find in-camera processing fun and efficient to explore that route. These cameras are very easy to fine tune so that they do a great job processing their own RAW files instantly, the way you want them and at your direction, giving you a photograph that is ready to go and viewable on any computer.

Shoot what you like - nobody will criticize you for it. Let others do the same...

I think this thread started because someone was looking for help with a specific technical issue. Its been resolved. It never needed to devolve into a RAW vs JPEG discussion. Apologies for any participation beyond the initial question...

-Ray

Latest threads

Top Bottom