Raw develops pink/purple tint when I try to edit/export in Oympus Viewer 3 (E-M10)

beeftendon

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello all. I'm trying to process some photos in OV3, and this one file turns purple whenever I do ANYTHING with it, even just exporting it as is. Here's what it looks like before I do anything:

tgWN9Iy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And here's what it looks like after I click Tone Curve, without even editing the tone curve. It does this for most of the other tools as well, and looks like this if I just export it as is. You can even see the histogram change.

eZuum5c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Does anybody have any experience with this? So far, none of the other photos I've taken with this camera, including the ones in this same group, have behaved like this.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Deleted comment. I would like to know what the settings are in the RAW tab list, because it is a mystery as to what might be happening to that file other than a weird WB result.

EDIT; I've learnt something new too.

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
It looks like the Tone Curve is not selected to change all channels the same (for example it's in B versus RGB mode).

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
It looks like the Tone Curve is not selected to change all channels the same (for example it's in B versus RGB mode).

I just had a look at the Tone Curve function & it looks like it could be set to one of the colours instead of RGB (as you have suggested) & also with an adjusted curve or the value '0' where it should be 255, so I would suggest to beeftendon to (click on arrow to open it) Reset the curve & also select RGB & that should stop this showing like this. The Olympus Viewer 3 remembers certain functions used & saves it, that is, it opens those EDIT operations for each photo viewed (in EDIT) but it should be at default settings though. I hope that solves the issue.

This has highlighted further adjustments that I could use myself when opening the RAW file, so thanks to you both for both postings.

beeftendon

Mu-43 Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did check that it was in RGB mode as well, although I didn't show it in the picture. It's not a problem with the tone curve specifically. It does this for ANY setting that I select, even if I don't make any changes. Even if I don't edit anything and just export it tiff or jpg as is, the resulting image ends up the same way. It's really strange.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross

That is odd as it is consistent when opening in Oly Viewer 3, but you will be pleased to know that processing it in Capture One (Pro) 7 (by Phase One) it produces it as normal. I could post it if you want but you have no edit & reposting set in your profile, so I would need your permission before posting.

There does seem to be an issue with that file, like it has dropped off one of the colour channels. Maybe if you contact Olympus with this issue, giving them a link to your Drop Box for this file, then they might come back with a more definitive answer.

beeftendon

Mu-43 Rookie
Sure, I would really appreciate that. I'll contact Olympus too, I didn't do anything differently between that photo and the rest, seems like some kind of bug to me.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross

beeftendon

Mu-43 Rookie
In case anyone's curious, they were able to reproduce the issue but have no idea why it's happening. They're sending the file to Japan. It could just simply be the occasional case of a file getting corrupted during transfer/import. It happens.

It seems that somehow the file has a corrupt tag that is causing Viewer 3 to process the file in this altered state. We have never seen this before and can't see where in this file that the tag is. If you get any other files that do the same thing please forward them. I am going to send this file to Japan to see if they have any insight.

Latest threads

Top Bottom