RAW Developing Options - E-M1

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by nstelemark, Jul 10, 2014.

1. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I always shot RAW + JPG with my EM-5 and I would say in general I was quite pleased with the Aperture RAW conversion with these files. The JPGs did not look a whole lot different. And, I still shoot RAW+JPG with my E-PM1 and Aperture does a pretty good job here too.

For a long while I was shooting JPG only with the E-M1 because there was not RAW support in Aperture with my OS version (10.6, and stuck there for a bunch of unrelated reasons). I am now on the latest (10.9, Aperture 3.5x and I have the RAW support for the E-M1, so I went back to shooting RAW+JPG. I am more than a bit surprised that the Olympus Viewer 3 does a significantly better job with the EM-1 files than Aperture does. This may not be news but it is very much news to me :smile: . Also the JPG output from Aperture with a RAW E-M1 file is not really great either.

So I have a couple of options - move to something other than Aperture or shoot JPG. The move from Aperture is kind of a no brainer but I am wondering what does as good a job as OV3 for the E-M1 RAW files. OV3 is far too slow to interest me for day to day use. Moving back to JPG is not a huge issue either as I tend to shoot a lot of files and JPG in some ways is easier, but I lose some PP options of course. I don't have any real issues with Aperture, it handles 1000s of files pretty seamlessly and I don't do a ton of PP.

Here is an example (Aperture on the left):

ApertureVsOV3.

2. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I downloaded CaptureOne and Lightroom (aside from some annoying issues getting Lightroom to even run) this was pretty painless:

Clockwise from Top left - LR, Aperture, OV3, CaptureOne (all default settings).

Aperture-OV3-Lightroom-CaptureOne.

I still like OV3 the best and I think LR is a close second. This still leaves me thinking I should just shoot JPG :smile:

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Raw converters all have their own different default settings and the results vary a lot due to this. I suggest you play around with your likely favourites until you get an output you like. I doubt any of the popular raw converters are poor per sem
    you want

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    At the moment, I believe that LR is the best; the moment it goes to CC, it becomes the worst and I'll likely move back to C1. I would never have left C1 had they provided a faster camera update program, but under the new management, they appear to be a bit more proactive when it comes to new cameras.

5. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Yes this was my thinking too. Unfortunately I simply can't get the level of detail in Aperture to match OV3. LR is close, and I suspect I can tweak it to get there, but CC is really a non-starter in my mind.

6. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I will spend a bit more time tweaking C1. What it did out of the box did not thrill me.

I am wondering if the algorithms in OV3 (and in the E-M1 processor) are simply better with an Olympus RAW file. They should be.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That won't really happen with any raw converter, they are a bit like cameras, you need to understand adjustments and then modify them to suit the situation. Only factory raw converters are likely to be able to emulate the JPG engine, as you would expect, but then they tend to be cumbersome and not very capable of doing much else. To be honest, I'm rarely content with default output of any converter or camera JPG.

8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The only digital asset manager I know about that can do the same plugins as Aperture is Lightroom. I have tried Capture One and DXO. I did not see any magic with either compared to LR. Also neither had a integrated way for me to round trip to my plugins (Nik and Perfect Photo). So I am sticking with LR unless Apple performs a miracle with Photos next year. Hope springs eternal.

• Like Like x 1