RAW converting and in-camera noise reduction questions.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Zancrow, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    I have an E-m1 and currently to edit my photos I use LR4 but since LR4 does not support E-m1 raw files I use Adobe DNG Converter to turn my raw files into DNGs instead of Olympus' raw format. Do you guys think I'm hurting the quality of my photos by converting them first?

Also what settings do you guys use for the in-camera noise reduction and noise filter for taking photos. Should I leave it the way it is or change some settings when I use a higher ISO?

Thanks in advance
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    DNG is a RAW file format. The noise setting you can make in the camera have no effect on RAW files.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    No. Raw is Raw.

I use Noise Filter=Low, but it has no effect on Raw anyway.

Leave well alone. They sell the camera with sensible settings.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Cranking up in camera noise reduction is really about doing things like night shots where the ISO is relatively high and the shutter time can be around 2 seconds. You can ask the camera to crank up the in camera noise reduction but that usually adds lots of seconds of processing time. For such shots I will first check the shot in LR which uses an Adobe raw converter and see what can be done with noise reduction in LR. If I think DxO Optics can do better, I send the image to DxO. In DxO I will use their PRIME noise reduction and send the resulting DNG file back to my LR library. Then I can select which raw file I want to use for further editing.

BTW, way past time to keep holding onto LR4. LR 6 should be released on the 21st.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Thanks for the help guys. Yeah, it may be time to upgrade soon.