RAW compatibility in OSX

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by flextone, Jun 27, 2013.

1. flextone

flextone Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2013
    Hi guys,

I've recently began shooting with an Oly E-PL3 in RAW format. I have two Apple machines, a MBP running Snow Leopard, and an iMac running Leopard. The former supports the E-PL3 but the latter doesn't, according to Apple.

Does this mean my RAW files won't open on the 10.5.8 machine? Is the only way to get them to open is an OS update?

Thanks.

2. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    I'd have thought that RAW compatibility was more to do with the software you use than the OS of your Mac. Although you may find that you need to update your OS in order to run software that supports the E-PL3 RAW files.

3. flextone

flextone Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2013
    OSX supports RAW files on the system level. This means you can edit them in osx Preview for example without the need for third party software. Aperture requires this compatibility between OSX and your camera too. Lightroom and Photoshop are a different story with the RAW plugin etc..

I'm asking because 10.5.8 is supposed to support the E-PL2, won't it read files from n E-PL3?

4. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    Ah OK - didn't know Preview could open RAW files.
    I've had to update LR4 twice in order to edit RAW files - once when I got my OM-D and again when I got my E-PM2. I was surprised the E-PM2 files were a problem after the OM-D update.

5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Is there no software update available when you go check it?

Mac OS X v10.5: Supported digital camera RAW formats

Leopard is still supported and "Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.7" is the latest one, same as the latest Mountain Lion.

Says you may need iPhoto or Aperture installed, but in my experience neither are required to receive the Digital Camera RAW updates.

If you already have Snow Leopard on the MacBook Pro, why don't you update your iMac with it too? There are many changes between Leopard and Snow Leopard that are worthwhile.

6. flextone

flextone Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2013
    The latest "Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update" is 4.06. The E-PL3 is on 3.09

I would update to snow leopard but the iMac is old, and I'm afraid to have compatibility issues with other software. I have iPhoto on the 10.5.8 iMac btw...

7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I guess Leopard support stops at 3.7 then, that's too bad.

Snow Leopard wouldn't install on incompatible hardware so I guess it may have to resort to that?

8. flextone

flextone Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2013
    so.. it turns out that you need either Aperture or iPhoto installed to be able to see RAW files on a system level on osx. Do I have this right? Kinda sucks.

9. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    Why not convert them into dng and use them that way?

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is what I do with OMD EM5 files for use with Lightroom3. I archive in DNG so its a natural step in my workflow

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos

11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    No, Preview will open raw files and the Finder will also display them. The raw support is at the system level and is updated through Software Update. However support for older versions of the OS eventually goes away.

Fred

12. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I have 10.8.4 and there are no support for E-P5 and of course no support for GX7 either. All the others are there.

13. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    Indeed there isn't yet. The g6 is now supported since the last update. However a quick conversion to dng format sorts it out :)

14. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    First "a quick conversion to dng", then importing to Lightroom4, then removing the noise, then cropping and so on in the Photoshop (only one I know)...

I probably should simplify my workflow :biggrin:

15. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    Lol if you use Lightroom then all is fine. Just straight import and you can choose to have it converted to dng as part of that process. Cropping is easy in Lightroom or even preview :)

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    True, but DNG conversion through Lightroom only works if your camera is supported by that version of Lightroom. In that case, I think you'd be best off not bothering with DNG. The advantage of DNG is that it also works in Lightroom (and Photoshop) versions that don't support your specific camera model. But in that case, you have to use the standalone DNG converter.

17. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    Ah I see. Didn't realise that difference. I've got Lightroom 5 through creative cloud

18. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Yep, I knew that BECAUSE Fred and Dwig told me :smile: although I'm not planning to upgrade from Lr 4.4. At least before a serious DNG try. After that try I'm probably done trying and ready to upgrade :biggrin:

NEWER done it before and now again :rolleyes:

19. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The converter will allow you to embed the original raw file for later retrieval if you wish. Of course, it produces a larger DNG file. You can also adjust the size of the embedded preview file.

20. Back in my Foveon raw days Picasa would handle the raws. Perhaps, if needed you might be able to do the same the import back to your Mac.