Rattling sound in lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mqavila, May 28, 2011.

1. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Guys, I was using my camera the other day and I just noticed that whenever I lightly shake (or more like tipping it from side to side) my 14-140mm lens, I hear a rattling sound inside (like something bumping into something). I never noticed it before. Is this normal? I checked my 14-45mm lens and i hear the same thing, although its much quieter (I'm assuming because smaller, lighter parts are bumping into each other)... I don't want to panic quite yet since I'm assuming that there are really some moving parts inside that can possibly "bump" into each other...

By the way, the lens works perfectly so I don't think it's broken or anything...
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Does it sound like a lump of glass? An element could be loose.
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011

(can I introduce you to Craig's list ...)
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Search - all Panny lenses with IS do this
    • Like Like x 2
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    whew ... I take my Craig's list post back.

6. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Yeah I just checked mine and it rattles as well.
  7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I believe this is why the panny lenses all extend when pointed downwards as well, my 45-200 does it also. Strange because my oly 14-150 feels solid and secure, does not extend without actually turning the lense. Chalk it up to manufacturer oversight? Build quality, or design?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Whew. This is a relief. I was already suspecting that someone in the house had dropped my camera bag and then didn't tell me. Thanks for the responses!
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I just checked my Canon IS lenses as well. They rattle a little bit, but the Panny 14-140 sounds like it is falling to pieces inside.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Again, a relief but somehow it seems a bit bitter, knowing that what I thought was a defect is actually "normal". Oh well. :)
  11. While reading a Nikon D5100 instruction book cautions against turning the camera off while image stabilitation is turned on. It continued to say you will hear the lens clicking. Calls for reinstalling lens, turning camera back on and stabilization off then turn camera off and remove lens/
    At least that is how I remember reading that page.
    Be kind if I am wrong, I'm old and have senior moments
  12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Uh, no.

Google "zoom creep" - many many lenses exhibit it. The manufacturer can have a stiffer/more damped zoom ring or a mechanical lock to prevent it, but many cheaper lenses (like the 45-200) forgo that extra expense
  13. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I thought perhaps it was some gyroscopic element used by the OIS to detect/correct motion. Pure conjecture on my part.
  14. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    as long as the rattle is only when the lens isn't mounted you're fine (that's typical of the panasonic IS) . it should go away once it's on the camera and everything is powered up.
  15. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Most AF lenses rattle. Many manual zooms do too. Good old helical focusing does not. Good thing we have the choice between modern plastic-and-cams expendable gear and durable, enduring, legacy rare earth glass... on which only a few neutrons get loose :biggrin: