1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rattling sound from new E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Krigskoen, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    So I got my new E-M10 and soon after noticed a weird rattling sound coming from it whenever I gently shook it or put it down on a surface..or even just moved it upside down. First I thought it was from the attachments to the strap, so I took both of them off, since I'm not gonna use them anyway. But still the rattling sound continued. I Googled it and found some threads about something similar, including on this forum :) Apparently it was the sensor shifting around, and indeed the sound did diminish a bit when I turned the camera on.

But even with the camera on and the IBIS active, there was still this annoying sound when I moved the camera. I then popped up the flash and noticed that the sound was coming from there! Inside the flash, there are two long silver plates, which are connected to the pop-up mechanism, they were loose and causing the rattling. The screws are quite small, and I didn't have a proper screwdriver to tighten them. Normally, I would send it back to the shop to get it fixed, but currently I can't go without the camera, since I need it a lot in the coming weeks. So I used some tiny pieces of paper and jammed them in between the silver plates and no more rattling :)

The flash still works fine, but if I pop it up normally, the paper pieces fly out. It looks cool but it's impractical ;) If i pop it up gently, by holding it with my finger, the pieces stay in place. I'm probably gonna have to get it fixed properly at some point, but for now it's a good enough workaround. I couldn't find anyone else with this exact problem, but if someone else should somehow stumble upon this via Google, I hope this is helpful!

Picture attached showing the metal plate and the paper I jammed in there.

2015-07-02 19.12.02.jpg

2. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    I hate a rattle as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure if I hate it enough to "jam" pieces of paper into a mechanical assembly of a brand new camera.

3. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I think you should try getting a small screwdriver and try tightening the screws. Small screwdrivers can be gotten pretty cheaply, even in sets, and they are good to have around anyway. Myself, I recently bought an E-M10 but haven't noticed any rattling. I will check it out...

4. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    Yup, that's what I wanted to do. However, only the screws on this side facing towards the front are accessible. The other 2 screws are harder to get to since the flash unit gets in the way, so not sure if I can get a screwdriver in there. So probably best to leave it to professionals :)

5. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    So I finally sent it in for repairs and it took about 3 weeks from start to finish. That was pretty much the time frame I was expecting and the reason i held off for so long, since I needed the camera a lot and didn't have a second body.

And they totally missed what the problem was and nothing was fixed :D I was quite through in my description of the problem, but somehow they must have misunderstood and thought something was wrong with the flash unit itself, which they checked out. At least I got a full cleaning out of it.

I can't really go without the camera for another 3 weeks since the neighbors started complaining about the excessive sobbing at night.
    And besides the problem isn't that great, especially with my little "fix" and the fact that I never use the built-in flash..ever. My primary concern was for the resell value, when the time comes. But I'm probably gonna wait until the E-M10 Mark 3, so that time is long in the future and the body will have depreciated in value so much anyway, it won't really matter.

Now excuse me while i go hug my little baby :) Isn't it crazy how much you can miss a piece of electronic?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Sorry to hear they didn't fix the problem. But now I am wondering - are you SURE the screws are actually loose? I mean, if the repair people took apart the flash (which you say they probably thought was your complaint - that it wasn't working), wouldn't they have tightened things down when they were finished? Or are you thinking they just tried it? But you also said it got a cleaning. So it seems to me that when they were done with that, they would have reassembled it and made it tight.

In other words, I'm suspecting that the parts are just a little small or ill-fitting, but within the required tolerances. In other words, NOT loose, but just rattling some because they aren't a perfect fit. I think you should leave it alone, stop jamming cardboard into it (you really will break it), and use it. If you sell it later, don't say anything. The buyer will probably never notice. Of course, all this is easy for me to say, and I hate it myself when things rattle like that, but I think you are probably OK. :)

7. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    Well, the attached paperwork stated that the problem they looked for was a defect flash unit, which they checked and found no faults with. Although I'm not sure what exactly they did with the camera. Maybe they just test-fired the flash and finished it there ;) As for the tolerances, you're probably right. It's probably right within the border of what's acceptable. I'm also surprised that noone else has described or talked about this issue anywhere on the internet..but that's just my luck ;)

I'll probably leave the paper pieces in place, since I never use the flash anyway and so it will not put any stress on it. If i kept popping it up and down, the pieces would probably damage the mechanism though. Also I'll probably be honest with the buyer, but as you say they might not even notice the sound! It sounds quite similar to the sound that the sensor mount makes, when the camera is turned off and it moves freely, so might not be a big issue with someone else. I just pick up on small sounds like that and if i can find a way to quiet them, I will. Probably not a good idea to put stuff inside the sensor area though ;)

8. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    Probably? ;-)

9. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    I'm hoping to sell it to a deaf person ;)

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Are you sure that it is not the IBIS that you are hearing?

11. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I also think this is May be the IBIS system floating when it is not activated
    The floating mechanism will be prone to 'rattling' all the time that the IBIS is not actually activated which causes the mechanism to 'tighten up' in order for it to work via an electromagnetic system
    The way to tell is to move the camera around with it switched on
    If you have the IBIS set to activate only on half press of the shutter button then the rattle will stop when you have the button half pressed (ie to lock focus) and you move the camera around whilst holding the shutter half down
    If the noise doesn't occurr then it is the IBIS system
    You might find that the IBIS is set only to activate when the shutter is fired in which case you will need to change the setting in order to carry out this test
    Will look at my EM10 shortly to identify the menu setting you will need
    Edit
    Got to cogs on menu - section C Release - half way RLS (release) with IS - to ON
    Let us know how this test goes - feel free to ask for clarification on this
    There is a good chance that this is your 'problem'
    Regards
    Rob

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  12. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    Thank you for that very thorough explanation, Robstar1963 :) But I made sure the sound was not coming from there long ago. I recorded a video with IBIS turned on so it was active constantly, and the IBIS rattle disappeared of course. Also I can plainly see that the sound is coming from the two metal prongs which are loose in the flash unit. But the sound is very similar, so perhaps some people just never notice it or think it's just the IBIS system rattling.

13. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    [emoji1]

14. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    It is the link arms inside the flash mechanism that rattle, mine do too. They are loose because they need to slide to allow the flash to open. If they were too tight, it might provide too much resistance for the small spring to overcome.

Most rattles annoy me, but with the EM10, the strap lugs, the floating sensor and the floating focus mechanism of my Sigmas all rattle. I just accept that this is not due to fault, it's just a factor of their operational design.